Mellanox NIC Heatsinks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
On a lot of the Mellanox NIC's I have seen on eBay contain a heatsink over the large circuit chip. They all appear to be a standard size and all the Mellanox cards I have seen appear to have holes already on the card for the heatsink. Where can I obtain these heatsinks?

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
I don't know if there's a source for Mellanox specific heatsinks, you might be limited to buying broken cards on ebay for the parts.

I briefly toyed with the idea of looking through old single slot GPU blower-style heatsink-fan assemblies to find one that matched the mounting holes on the CX3 VPI boards. Then I realized that A: I can just screw a 40mm fan straight into the heatsink fins and B: 50% of the time the card doesn't even need that level of cooling so I quit looking. Tl;dr - you might also look at older GPU heatsinks, there could be something that fits.

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
I don't think the heatsinks come from Mellanox. all the cards from Mellanox I see don't have them. However most of the cards I see on eBay have the heatsinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
You mean the cards in their pdf docs ?
I think those are just to show off.
i'm pretty certain that they don't sell cards without heatsink, because it would be rather weird to also have to source heatsinks for networkcards.

CPU coolers as a comparison are OK, but not nic heatsinks in my opinion.