Mellanox MCX354A Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

saverio

Jun 24, 2020
Hello!
This is my first post, I hope it will be usefull for other users in the future.
We are planning an hyperconverged infrastructure using Proxmox+CEPH. We will use MCX354A as NICs with 2x 40Gbe uplink on two different Arista switches.

1) I read that the the -QCBT can be flashed to -FCBT, after that the NICs are really the same or does the -QCBT have performance penalities?
2) There are a lot of iperf tests using single port, but did someone tested it using bonding?

Thanks!

Fallen Kell

Mar 10, 2020
There is not enough bandwidth to the card through the PCI-e bus to fully support both 40Gbe ports. The PCI-e 3.0 8x lanes will only theoretically support 61.5Gbps (and in reality it will be a little less, probably 10-15%, so really more like 50-55Gbps). The dual ports in these cards are meant simply for redundancy (i.e. connecting to 2 switches or two ports in the same switch) for failover of port/cable/switch.

saverio

Jun 24, 2020
Thanks, probably I will put 2 NICs in each server, this way it should reach 80Gbe, I think.