Mellanox Managed vs Non-Managed Switches? (e.g. SX6005/SX6012, SX6015/SX6018, & SX6025/SX6036)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abq

May 23, 2015
Hello All,

I am hoping to set-up a dedicated infiniband network, but not sure if I will be making a mistake to buy an un-managed Mellanox switches (e.g. sx6005, sx6015, & sx6025). I know you can update the managed switch firmware (e.g. sx6012, sx6018, & sx6036), can even add ethernet switching to mix!

But the un-managed switches are noticeably cheaper & I only really need infiniband for now (cheapest;), but will not support Ethernet later). ...I can flash Mellanox cards to VPI for eventual 'dual use' on both Infiniband & Ethernet networks, and eventually pick up managed switch to add ethernet (sometime in future;).

Un-managed switch appear to NOT have a console port or USB, so I assume no easy 'update-able' firmware. But do you really need to update firmware on un-managed switch ?!? ...also will go with cheapest EMC/HP version of Mellanox un-managed switch.

I trust the more experiences folks will have opinions & guidance to share with an inexperience knob like me here;). I appreciate any & all advice & suggestions on my high data rate network plans. Purpose is to just learn and play with higher speeds, not production or anything. Probably start by connecting ~half dozen servers & storage together.

Cheers,
ABQ :)

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Main difference IB related is that the managed ones can run the IB management deamon (subnet manager) on the switch while you need an external SM (on any box) for the unmanaged ones

abq

May 23, 2015
Main difference IB related is that the managed ones can run the IB management deamon (subnet manager) on the switch while you need an external SM (on any box) for the unmanaged ones
@Rand__, thank you for your advice. I think I will be good running Subnet Manager (SM) on one of the servers, doesn't sound like SM will be much impact on CPU or bandwidth, right?

Do you know if there is any disadvantage to 'no firmware' updates on unmanaged switches (SX6005/SX6015/SX6025)? Should I make sure it is semi-current version of firmware, or are some versions better than others?

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Sorry no idea, not eve if you can flash FW.
If you can then probably similar to a nic.
I would imagine it's similar to a bios update, if it ain't broken don't touch it.

necr

Dec 27, 2017
In-band updates work great with either mft or open-source mstflint, all firmware files are available on the Firmware Downloads
MLNX-OS for the managed switches is behind a paywall, you normally need an account to get that.

abq

May 23, 2015
Thank You @Rand__, @i386, & @necr :) ...I'll have to explore & learn more on how to update the firmware for un-managed Mellanox switches (e.g. SX6005, SX6015, & SX6025). If I find good & simple step by step instructions or other beginner tutorial, I will post links or reference back here for others.