Mellanox IS5030 Speed Issues: Only DDR?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
management port is at switch level, but that looks fine.
You should try on HCA level next, i.e in your centos box either mlxconfig or one of the ib* commands

alltheasimov

Feb 17, 2018
Sorry, I don't understand. There are similar commands that I can run for the HCAs?

I tried using CLI with the switch via ssh. enable->configure terminal -> "ib port IS4 2 speed ?" lists the same options as the webui (see earlier picture of port configuration options), i.e. no option for just 10 Gbps (4x 10G = QDR). "show ib port IS4 2" shows 20Gbps current line rate. I didn't see any other options that I thought would be useful.

alltheasimov

Feb 17, 2018
I tried ibportstate with the lid of the switch and the port number with the 10Gbps speed option (so "ibportstate 1 2 speed 4"), and it throws an error that it can't do that.

I tried it with the HCA "ibportstate 2 1 speed 4" and it doesn't throw an error, but when I unplug-plug to force a renegotiate, it never links up again (even if I set the speed back) until I do a reboot of the node.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
It should be ibportstate, targeting the Port on the Switch, not sure about the exact parameters. This can be tricky, and would not be persistent over reboots of the switch, but basically should work when the Switch and hca port can do qdr.

alltheasimov

Feb 17, 2018
I tried ibportstate targeting the port on the switch and it throws an error. I have the lid of the switch (1) and the port the HCA is connected to on the switch (2), so I think I did that right. speed option 4 corresponds to 10 Gbps, which is QDR in 4x.

The HCAs and all cables are confirmed to work at QDR speeds with the Sun switch. It's this IS5030 that's giving me problems.

alltheasimov

Feb 17, 2018
I think that's the problem.
Dang, I hope I didn't end up with a "D" one. This is an IBM rebrand with the Mellanox IS50XX sticker, so it doesn't have the full mellanox model number anywhere.

Kinda scary actually...many of these "QDR" IS5030's floating around might actually be DDR.

alltheasimov

Feb 17, 2018
Looks like yours is a -d Sku, what would explain this. Maybe you can find the exact model/sku on the cli?
It just gives the IBM part number in the serial number (the same on the pull tab). Haven't come across any of those skus. I'll look around for it more.

Anyways, future buyers be warned: there are DDR IS5030 and IS5035's floating around out there.

alltheasimov

Feb 17, 2018
IBM P/N: 98Y3756 according to the pull tab. 98Y3580 according to the webui and first few characters of the serial number (which is also on the pull tab).

I double checked: no mellanox part numbers anywhere aside from "IS50xx" and "IS5030".

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Do you have a build date? Seems to have been part of a XIV Storage System box and that was introduced 2011 with Infiniband as backbone. Early version probably would have been DDR then, later QDR...

alltheasimov

Feb 17, 2018
The weird thing is, if this is a DDR switch, why would ib0 (see earlier picture...I'm not really sure what this is, it shows up on the webui screen above the management ethernet port) show "QDR", while all of the ports appear to be limited to DDR?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well thats a good indication is it not? ;)

But thats later enough to have QDR support...

And ib0 is the Infiniband Management Port. If that is QDR capable then all other should be too.