Mellanox IS5030 License Issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Meng Wang

Dec 19, 2018
Hello,
We bought a used IS5030 switch from ebay. But only the top 18 ports can work and the rate is only 20Gb/s per port, even though we used QFP cables. It looks like a license problem. I found several numbers on the pull out tab. But it always shows Malform license key error when I tried to install the key in cli via "license install <key>". Is the key installation method I used correct? Or where can I buy another license for this switch?

Derwood

May 22, 2019
Hello,
We bought a used IS5030 switch from ebay. But only the top 18 ports can work and the rate is only 20Gb/s per port, even though we used QFP cables. It looks like a license problem. I found several numbers on the pull out tab. But it always shows Malform license key error when I tried to install the key in cli via "license install <key>". Is the key installation method I used correct? Or where can I buy another license for this switch?
Although I cannot confirm anything about this issue myself, I too have been looking at what I assume to be the very same model: InfiniScale IV IS5030 and I noticed within the description about licences so am not totally sure about a purchase now!

Have you come to any result with regards to this product? Sorry if I've dug up an old thread. I'd hate to purchase a switch, which I assume is rated to whatever degree but due to some license combination or key it's been de-rated by half the speed or more.

Kind regards,

Blubster

Feb 25, 2014
Just reporting that i had the same issue with two IS5030, only the top 18 ports work and only at DDR speed, i did not find a way to bypass this yet, the pull tab has nothing on it for me.
I guess there is no solution for this?

vitrag

Oct 13, 2022
India
Hi every one, Sorry to add another post to a old thread, have another Mellanox IS5030, no licenses. Exact same issue, top 18 ports work at DDR speed. No way to bypass this, any one has any inputs please do share

P0rt4lN3T

Nov 10, 2023
It seems that only this models had firmare upgrade to work with ethernet mode and license free according to NVIDIA site..

2023-12-27

CONTENT

DESCRIPTION
Question:
Is the LIC-56GBE license free for Mellanox SwitchX systems?,

Answer:

56GbE Etherent switch license is free of charge.
In case you own the below Mellanox Ethernet Switches (or newer):
  • SX1036
  • SX1024
  • SX1012
  • SX1400
  • SX1710

It is also applicable for the VPI switches running in Gateway or Ethernet switch mode:
  • SX6036
  • SX6018
  • SX6012

You can boost the default 40GbE speed to 56GbE.

Starting from MLNX-OS 3.4.3002, 56GbE speed is enabled by default, meaning that there is no need for a license. You can simply change the port speed to 56000 without installing the license key.

Note
: nothing should be done on the adapter side, it will auto negotiate to 56GbE once the switch port is configured to 56GbE.
ARTICLE NUMBER

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
It seems that only this models had firmare upgrade to work with ethernet mode and license free according to NVIDIA site..
Where do you see the is5030 in that list?

The is5030 is from 2007/2008 and predates 40GBit/s ethernet...