Mellanox Connectx-3 supported FW version by Syno

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
I am working on an ESXi 7.0 setup with shared storage (Synology FS1018). I would like to use a Mellanox Connectx-3 MCX312B-XCCT. Which is supported by Synology.
According to the Synology website the supported firmware version is 2.33.5100.

But the Mellanox website doesn't show this version. See:

According to a couple of websites it isn't wise to just go for the newest one, syno is a bit picky according to others when it comes to firmware versions. Could result in weird problems.

Could somebody tell me where to find the supported firmware? And/or is it no problem to go for the newest one? Which is 2.42.5000.

Any ideas? I am hoping to find someone who uses the same flashstation combined with a ConnectX-3.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
If you don't see the version ask Synology because it would then qualify as an OEM version.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think @klui is right on this one. I have used CX-3 En Pro cards without doing firmware flashes in unsupported configurations and they worked, but it is a good idea to get this properly aligned at the outset.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
So i have the correct firmware file now, but i am not sure how to flash the file. Looking at this:

But i am a bit confused because it says "to burn a firmware image" 3 times. Are this 3 different examples or do i have to run 3 commands?

# flint -d /dev/mst/mt4099_pci_cr0 -i fw-4099-2_42_5000-MCX354A-FCB_A2.bin burn

This looks like a Linux command. Wil this work under Windows? How do i find the ID of the card? Do i have to "burn MAC addresses"?

I don't wanna brick the card....

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Easiest way is to download Mellanox MFT and use mlxfwmanager.