Mellanox ConnectX-3 QDR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Serhan

Sep 22, 2017
Hi,

I just got a Mellanox ConnectX-3 QDR. I see that the outside surface of one of the components that says 2R2 is rough compared to the other. I am sure these cards have been around for some time, it is working fine but D1C8858C-670B-4116-8FF9-1EC8466D024C.jpegcould this be a concern for its remaining useful life?

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
That's an inductor, used as part of the power supply to step down 12V from PCIe to something lower, like 1.8v or 1.2v to run the core of the main chip and transceiver.

Inductors can handle a lot heat. If you don't see any burn or significant discoloration on the circuit near it, I would not worry about it. It looks like left over varnish to me.

Serhan

Sep 22, 2017
That's an inductor, used as part of the power supply to step down 12V from PCIe to something lower, like 1.8v or 1.2v to run the core of the main chip and transceiver.

Inductors can handle a lot heat. If you don't see any burn or significant discoloration on the circuit near it, I would not worry about it. It looks like left over varnish to me.
Thank you for looking into this. The other components around it looks good, no discoloration.