Mellanox ConnectX-3 FDR/EN 56G 2-Port Adapter | HP 649282-B21 (MCX354A-FCBT)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

parawizard

Jan 28, 2014
Yep, the PowerEdge T110 is toast.

Not sure whether it can be fixed or not, but after trying THREE different Mellanox/HP FlexibleLOM adapters inside the PowerEdge T110, something must have happened because when I removed the last one, and powered it back on, it now just continuously reboots.

I guess the PowerEdge T110 is now headed towards E-Bay (as scrap/parts). The processor, memory, and other components are probably fine (I would think) but it does look like something definitely happened to the PowerEdge T110 mainboard, and it apparently did NOT like the Mellanox/HP FlexibleLOM [Mellanox MCX354A-FCBT (HP 649282-B21)] adapter cards.

So clearly these adapter cards are for HP Proliant Gen8 Servers ONLY. Don't EVER stick one in a Dell, or you'll definitely be SORRY. :(

Lots of "colorful" words were coming out of my mouth tonight...
:(

It was definitely an "interesting" experiment...
[No happy ending here...]
Have you tried:

1) Unplug
2) Disconnect everything except KB/Mouse/Monitor
3) Disconnect everything inside except frontpanel & PSU connectors
4) Remove all addin cards
5) Remove CMOS battery
6) Press power button a few times
7) Replace CMOS battery
8) Reseat RAM & possibly try with a single stick installed
8) Plug in power & Power it on

Also can you actually get into the bios or does it reboot? If that doesn't work looks like you can snag a replacement board for under $100 on ebay. Sorry that it was such a crappy ordeal.

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Have you tried:

1) Unplug
2) Disconnect everything except KB/Mouse/Monitor
3) Disconnect everything inside except frontpanel & PSU connectors
4) Remove all addin cards
5) Remove CMOS battery
6) Press power button a few times
7) Replace CMOS battery
8) Reseat RAM & possibly try with a single stick installed
8) Plug in power & Power it on
Yes, I've already tried almost everything except removing the CMOS battery and removing the RAM. There are currently no add-on cards in the system.

I may try removing the CMOS battery later tonight, just to see if it helps. I've already contacted Dell support, and let them know what happened. I received a response within a few minutes. I'm currently sifting through a handful of troubleshooting steps, and they sent me some diagnostic software that I already put onto a USB stick, but the system has been rebooting for the past couple of days (continuously) and I can't seem to get it to boot off the USB stick.

Also can you actually get into the bios or does it reboot?
Nope, I'm unable to get into the BIOS, it just reboots. If I press "F2" to enter into the BIOS, it says that it's going to enter setup, but then after a few seconds the 1/3/4 lights flash (mainboard problem) and then it reboots.

Page 19, of the manual that Dell Technical Support sent me, states that the 1/3/4 lights turning on means a mainboard failure.

Here: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-t110_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

So it does appear to be a mainboard failure.

If that doesn't work looks like you can snag a replacement board for under $100 on ebay. Sorry that it was such a crappy ordeal.
Yep, that's probably what I'm gonna have to do.

I'm going to wait another couple of days, just to make sure that I've tried everything possible, and that Dell doesn't have any additional ideas/steps (to try and fix the system/mainboard) but yes, it does look like I'll probably be needing to purchase/order some new mainboards).

parawizard

Jan 28, 2014
Yes, I've already tried almost everything except removing the CMOS battery and removing the RAM. There are currently no add-on cards in the system.

I may try removing the CMOS battery later tonight, just to see if it helps. I've already contacted Dell support, and let them know what happened. I received a response within a few minutes. I'm currently sifting through a handful of troubleshooting steps, and they sent me some diagnostic software that I already put onto a USB stick, but the system has been rebooting for the past couple of days (continuously) and I can't seem to get it to boot off the USB stick.

Nope, I'm unable to get into the BIOS, it just reboots. If I press "F2" to enter into the BIOS, it says that it's going to enter setup, but then after a few seconds the 1/3/4 lights flash (mainboard problem) and then it reboots.

Page 19, of the manual that Dell Technical Support sent me, states that the 1/3/4 lights turning on means a mainboard failure.

Here: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-t110_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

So it does appear to be a mainboard failure.

Yep, that's probably what I'm gonna have to do.

I'm going to wait another couple of days, just to make sure that I've tried everything possible, and that Dell doesn't have any additional ideas/steps (to try and fix the system/mainboard) but yes, it does look like I'll probably be needing to purchase/order some new mainboards).

Yeah even a CPU reseat may have an effect. Most likely you fried something but once in awhile something just gets shifted slightly when moving stuff around etc. Remember to disconnect the sata cables as well. Sometimes even though you have disconnected the device it could be a short in a cable still attached.

dukzcry1

Nov 25, 2013
That's what I just did for a test card, it was quick and easier than playing around with the drivers and I wanted to see if the new EN drivers were any better (not sure if they are).:)