Mellanox 40GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Anyone have a Mellanox model # list of which cards can do 40 Gigabit Ethernet?

ConnectX VPI ? And others

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
you can find a list here
Thanks! I'll have to keep trying there, lol

MySQL Connect failed, server:localhost
URL Alias definitions are not found!

Sweet! The 'chart' I think is what will come in handy.

If only I could afford ConnectX5 100Gbe :oops: :oops: ****DROOOOL****

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yessir, I got a handful of these for $40 or so a few months back, been ticking along w/ the MLX QSFP to SFP+ adapters, very happy so far w/ them.

Reactions: T_Minus

herby

Aug 18, 2013
Yessir, I got a handful of these for $40 or so a few months back, been ticking along w/ the MLX QSFP to SFP+ adapters, very happy so far w/ them.
I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, but how does that set-up work?
I thought the QSFP to SFP+ breakouts were just for a QSFP switch port --> SFP+ NICs.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick have you used the QSA module? Many people do not recommend to use the adapters owing to the quality issue or the high insertion loss.
I have but usually with 3m DACs so I have not seen any issues with about 20 in use over the past few months.

Syndicate

Apr 3, 2017
Vancouver Canada
Hey Guys I was led here by Patricks quest for 40GBE. I myself have just bought two nice Arista 7050QX-32's and picked up some 3M Dacs. Now I am buying NICS.

I run EXSI and KVM so I thought I may be able to make use of the PRO models of ConnectX-3

After HOURS of looking at cards, websites and stuff seems my options are:

Pro does hardware offload - MCX314A-BCCT Dual 40/56GbE
Normal does some stuff - MCX314A-BCBT Dual 40/56GbE QSFP

With Infiniband - I don't need this:
Normal - MCX354A-FCBT Dual FDR 56Gb/s or 40/56GbE
PRO - MCX354A-FCCT Dual VPI FDR/40/56GbE

So I can see prices anywhere from $50 - $300 for these cards.

The pro cards seem to be in the $1000+ Retail range, and more heavy duty in terms of options.

I can get either the Generic MELLANOX cards in Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN or for the same price I can get the Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro but they are OEM brand IBM/LENOVO .

Wondering if there would be any issue running OEM cards without reflashing them in EXSI 6.5 or Ubuntu 14.05 - 16.04 and Windows etc.

Do all these OEM cards work fine in Supermicro and Dell servers? Seems like a much better deal, if I have to flash them I could, done it to LSI cards before but just wondering if I even have to bother.

Thanks!
Once I get the deal I will send you the link also

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
usually there is no issue in reflashing those, done a couple of HPs myself for use in SM boards.
PROs have a better RocE support iirc and therefore might be more desirable. Normal ones can be had as cheaply as $50 per on a deal; have not seen PRO's so low.

VPI's can run in Infiniband or Ethernet mode so I'd not write them off.

wpj

Jun 18, 2018
Got a super basic question... Purchased 3 HP 544qsfp 649281-b21; Will be doing networking without switch for now.

I need only 10G as of now (SFP+) but having a cable that supports 40G is also great. Question; if i buy QSFP+ Direct Attached Cable and not SFP+ will I still be able to use 10G ETHERNET between these cards?

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
A qsfp or Quad-sfp is a 40 gig cable. Physically distinct from a sfp cable which run 10 or 1 gig
A qsfp card to card connection will be 40 gig Ethernet , skipping the discussion of infiniband mode.
You can buy, and certain network cards support, a breakout cable that’s a single qsfp on one end and 4 sfp on the other. That breaks a 40 gig into 4 separate 10 gig connections. I think I would avoid that for what you describe. I have a few of those cards and support for them is well documented on the forums.