Mellanox 10G Dual-Port card does not do any routing with IPoIB?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gandalf1783

Mar 29, 2022
Hey folks,

I have 3 servers equipped with the Connect-X2 MT26418, all running Proxmox (debian11).
The cards are all 2 Port ones, and I got 2 cables running between them like this:

+---------------------------+
| serv1 |
| Port 2
| (192.168.5.0)
| Port 1
| fileserver |
| Port 2
| (192.168.6.0)
| Port 2
| serv3 |

While I get a link, and can send data over the connections (even though not at full speed at serv1, I may do another post about that),
I cannot seem to get a "global" net working.

If I set both IPs of the fileserver to the 192.168.5 subnet, I can reach none of the other servers. I can ping from serv1 to the fileserver, but not the other way around.
I does not matter if I use the same IP or different ones for the ports, serv1 & 3 cannot be reached.

I want to use this as the backend / cluster network for my proxmox installation, so they need to be in the same subnet.

How can I achieve that both links run on the same subnet? (The fileserver also then needs to route packets between serv1 and 3...)

I should mention that there is no "official" OFED drivers for debian11. I tried installing using the 4.9.?? version, but i had to modify the installation script to even run on Debian 11. Also, it tried to remove the core packages of proxmox (proxmox-ve, etc.), so I definitely would've broken my system.

The included mlx4 drivers and the ib_ipoib modules I had to load with modprobe are working, I am just missing some software tools.

Also, when using iperf3, I'm getting a high retry rate. Is this a buffer issue?