MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i - what is "Large IO Support"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tjurgens

Jun 2, 2022
We have some servers with a MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i, and I'm going through some settings, making sure they're identical between boxes.

I noticed the setting "Large IO Support", but I cannot find any documentation on what exactly it is, and what it does. The best I've came across is from this page:

All it lists is:
" The firmware supports large-size I/Os, that is I/Os up to 1 MB are supported. The controller property enableLargeIOSupport is added to either enable or disable this feature. If large files are frequently present in regular operations, this option helps to increase the over-all performance on file transferring. "

I'm not sure if its relevant to the MegaRAID adapters (I'm guessing its the same, but I can't be certain), or if its helpful in a RAID 10 (4 disks in a span, 8 spans), with an formatted with XFS.

Its pretty frustrating finding any detailed documentation on this feature. Anyone have a better explanation?

As a bonus, anyone know how to configure this option with storcli?

tjurgens

Jun 2, 2022
Modifying the large IO support via StorCLI is done like so:

storcli /c0 set largeiosupport=on

I am still trying to find how to adjust other advanced features via storcli.