'May'

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
GoofyHSK: You gotta do it!

I don't remember the temps off-hand but I used the retail Intel cooler. More than enough to quietly cool the chip under load.

Nearly a year since I bought the Norco.. lol

I booted it today, had some trouble getting into bios - probably too much button pressing,
Enabled vt-d, checked ipmi turned on.

Still have to install backplane power cables, customise OS drive power - then onto configuration!

Not sure whether to IT mode teh M1015's straight away or not

Well,
3 M1015s working (I think),
20 drives detected (4 in another box atm),
ESXi 5.0 Installed,
Solaris Express VM Created - M1015 passed through
Ubuntu VM Created
Win 2008r2 VM Created

Case closed up, IPMI reports medium cpu temp :=\

Tried to install napp-it but seemed to take ages, think pkg.oracle.com is down. - So havent created raidz yet (I don't know enough to do it manually atm)
Only one NIC in ESXi, can't see any working 5.0 solution for it yet.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I wouldn't worry much about medium temp. Good stuff though!

BTW I really think VMware needs to spend a bit of effort doing basic hardware support. Even between versions the HCL changes making it a big PITA.

I'm pretty annoyed atm, seeing errors and illegal requests in logs for the sas and hdds :(
I don't know enough about Sol/ESXi/Sas to work out if it's real bad or not.
Not keen to start moving any data from other boxes... hell, not really keen to work on the box at all (I'm not good with confidence regarding my systems)

M1015's went back to ImR firmware and was a lot better - until i added the rest of my drives and the middle controller bugged out.
Shoved a BR10i in its place temporarily.
All my data is now in the pool (3x 8 drive z2).

New M1015's on there way thanks to odditory :D

Been confused about acl / permissions and windows. Every time I think I have it set right I find unaccessible files/dirs in windows.
Not sure If I want to keep ESXi setup, may be easier to go back to S11E + vbox;

Esxi5 (second nic not enabled yet)

Se11
2008r2, sab+sickbeard, torrents rarely
Ubuntu, znc, nagios (configure it one day)
XP, automotive parts catalogs

-haven't configured ecc in vm BIOS' yet, unsure of options

Starting to get annoyed at noise level of setup : lives under end of my bed
May look into a hdd to fan wall only cover
Thought about enclosing outside in foam also

Current Status:

Build's Name:
May
Operating System/ Storage Platform: ESXi v6
CPU: Xeon E1230v1
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F
Chassis: Norco RPC-4224
Drives: 160Gb Seagate 7200.4 2.5", 500Gb Seagate 7200.4 2.5", 24x 2Tb Hitachi 5K3000
RAM: 4 of Kingston Technology ValueRAM 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC CL9 DIMM KVR1333D3E9S/8G
Add-in Cards: 3x IBM M1015 (firmware package 20.10.1-0061, imr_sas 3.03_2008)
Power Supply: Corsair HX850
Other Bits: 3x 120mm Noctua, 2x 80mm Noctua, Noctua U9 HSF

Usage Profile:
Solaris Express 11 - ZFS 3x raidz2 8drives
2008r2 - Sabnzbd, Sonarr, Plex, Chrome
Debian - ZNC, Ubiquiti Controller

Issues: Solaris random reboots - rpool drive controller error
Debian and 2008r2 VM datastore space insufficient - datastores need re-sorting

Last edited:
This box is still plodding along, alas with degraded pool for over a year - 2/3 drives down
Also been <10% free space for quite a while

I added a 4TB (formally external USB) Seagate into one of the degraded spots for temp space - still barely 10% free on the main zpool

Then I stumbled upon chia and thought I'd very barely attempt to mine (plot on desktop, store on this box) - so that has already added 2TB of data

Looked around for an upgraded CPU for X9SCM during some boredom and found it wouldn't get me any more cores, then I saw a local S7050A2NRF setup (64GB ECC, 2x E5-2650v1) and ended up grabbing that
Naturally, I realised my PSU wouldn't do 2x EPS, and I would need to find a new HSF

Ordered AUPSRCBTP ((2) 98mmx100mm Passive Heat Sinks for Intel® Server Boards S2600CP, S2600IP, S2600CO in P4000 chassis.) which I hope will fit -- unsure if I'll have to add fans

In a first for me, I actually won some Chia! Which I managed to convert to a decent amount of actual $ ((I'm calling it $0 outlay, technically you could say $100 outlay))

Now I'm facing significant scope creep/dreams of upgrades

I require a new PSU to even test the dual setup - a Corsair RM850x feels like the best choice

This year I will buy new drives - current thoughts are 8TB - 8x8TB in a z2?;

Uncertain whether to attempt WD Easystore/Elements and shuck - much cheaper but less warranty and unknown TBW/MTTF
Next would be WD Red, WD Purple

I may grab some newer HBA if I spot a good deal

Reactions: Tha_14
It's nice to let out of a blob of text every now and then :cool:

My HSF arrived from Amazon.. well half of the described product did. Refund on the way; hassle to find the product again in stock
Just ordered RM850x PSU

Also looking into a ssd for datastore, current 160+500Gb isn't really enough
Tempted to get a usb just for esxi