mATX - small 3x 5.25 bays - suggestions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I am looking for the smallest case I can get that will fit a mATX motherboard and has 3x 5.25 bays.

I want to make a 2.5" SSD based NAS and finally saw this one. Aluminum 3 x5 25" to 12x2 5" SAS SATA 6 0g HDDs Hot Swap Cage Backplane New | eBay

I know in the ATX world there are a lot of options. I know mITX with 1x 5.25 is easy to find. Seems like I'm trying to do something crazy. I want mATX instead of ITX and ATX is too much wasted space.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I saw those but the larger 2.5" SAS drives will not fit the higher density cases.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
not as SAS... but I see his predicament.

and Hank, now you are making me want one of those 8 bay monsters...

Chris

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
The single 5.25 versions will have better case compatibility too. You may have 3x5.25 in your case but depending on if it has grooves (to help with mounting), how deep they are or tool-less clips etc it may not fit overly well.

Those 8 in ones are pretty darn nice. Could get 16 hotswap SSDs in a TJ08-E and still have room for add-in cards and good cooling.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
DO NOT buy the one MiniKnight/OP posted in the eBay auction. Vantec sells the same chassis (not sure who originally makes them) and they are plagued with issues. I purchased one from Amazon and you will get read/write errors and your disks will disappear and reappear. There are a few negative reviews on Amazon that reflect this issue but it was the only two 3.5 x eight 2.5 enclosure that would work on my HTPC chassis. So I took a chance with it (cuz of Amazon's return policy) and I got the same results others had. Returned it and got a Supermicro hot swap bay. I had to dremel off the dividers between the 3.5 inch bays that the Vantec did have slots to accomodate them.

It worked out for the better. The Supermicro does have SFF-8087 connectors and SGPIO support. I put an old ServeRAID card in the machine which supports it.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Of course as soon as my 6in 1 iCyDock arrives you have to show me the 8 in one!!! DOH.

I wonder if I can get an 8in1 next to the motherboard and PSUs in a SM 4U... that would be a nice lil drop in module... will have to measure :)