Maturity of 802.11bz (Multi-Gig)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
Trying to see if some of you have had some better luck and experience than I have but in any case, hoping to save some people some pain.

I recently undertook a complete "remodeling" of my home network away from ubiquiti's unifi setup to multi-gig.
My APs went from a collection of UAP-AC-HD/SHD/XG to Engenius EWS377AP which have a 2.5Gbps uplink.
I upgraded my dual WAN ISP service to now exceed gigabit combined so I needed to change my wired speeds as well throughout.
I sold of my unifi switches and got a few of the following models to test for the multigig segments:

Zyxel 1930-12HP
Netgear MS510TXPP
Mikrotik CRS312-8XG-4C

I have run into some strange problems:

1) Netgear MS510TXPP port 5.
When I plug an Engenius AP to this specific port, it negotiates a 2.5G speed, POE works fine but the link seems to be broken. I went through the switch settings and can't figure out what is the difference between this port and port6 which works fine but have not found any difference. I can connect to the AP through wifi and access the AP's webserver but can't access anything uplink. Likewise if I am connected to the other side of the link, I can connect to everything but the AP.
The port is not dead and if I plug in another device with a link is negotiated to 1G of 100M the problem goes away. I have a couple of these switches so I tested other units and they all behave the same way... strange!

2) Zyxel 1930-12HP
This is another strange one. I connected 3 of the engenius APs to this switch after configuring it only with RSTP. The switch work fine as standalone. I got a free engenius skykey so I decided to try it out. The engenius controller saw all APs fine and included them. I then updated firmware on the APs from version 3.7.4 to 3.7.6 and they since appear to not want to complete provision with the skykey controller. I can run them standalone just fine but if I include them in the controller, they cycle through "connecting", "provisioning" and then reboot. I moved these APs to a Netgear switch above and they function just fine there so there so I am quite puzzled by this behavior.

3) Unifi 6XG-POE with Netgear RAX120
I previously also tested the 5G link between these two devices and ran into problems as well. Within 12-24h of running perfectly fine, they would start dropping packets and apparently go out of sync so badly that the cable needed to be unplugged and plugged back in. I suspected my cabling but I made the problem disappear by plugging the RAX120 to either the netgear or the mikrotik switch.

I have no problem with 10G connections over the very same cables and it seems like problems between devices only occur with 2.5G and 5G connections. So have any of you seen anything of the sort? How mature and standardized is the implementation? Thoughts?