Marriage = Storage Consolidation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Agree, which is exactly why I said...
Point taken.

Some other factors of why I choose non-striped for my bulk storage is rebuild times (I can't even imagine the resilver time of an 8 x 10TB RAIDz2 pool), expand-ability, and disaster recovery (losing more drives than parity accounts for).

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
You should always try to prevent bitrot, such a mischievous little bugger...

For my (priceless) photos and documents, ZFS / BTRFS and at least 3 full backups + cloud backup is a given. For 40TB of video media files, a regular full backup on a different system is enough for me. May be even overkill for some, but I'm lazy and don't want to spend weeks ripping Blurays again.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
You should always try to prevent bitrot, such a mischievous little bugger...

For my (priceless) photos and documents, ZFS / BTRFS and at least 3 full backups + cloud backup is a given. For 40TB of video media files, a regular full backup on a different system is enough for me. May be even overkill for some, but I'm lazy and don't want to spend weeks ripping Blurays again.
Yes, as I said for irreplaceable data it needs to be considered. For that data I have a local backup, and off-site backup (parents house via site-to-site VPN), and cloud backup. For my 50TB of media, have a regular full backup on a second local array each night.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Disaster recovery on NSA is actually a huge advantage.

Considering this: your cat jumped on to your server and had some output on a stack of your hard drives. Let's say 3 out of 12x5TB disks are gone. With ZFS Z2 you just lost 50TB. With SnapRAID you may lose from 5TB to 15TB of data, and still having 35 to 45TB undamaged.

This makes huge difference when you actually hit the situation.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Disaster recovery on NSA is actually a huge advantage.

Considering this: your cat jumped on to your server and had some output on a stack of your hard drives. Let's say 3 out of 12x5TB disks are gone. With ZFS Z2 you just lost 50TB. With SnapRAID you may lose from 5TB to 15TB of data, and still having 35 to 45TB undamaged.

This makes huge difference when you actually hit the situation.
Absolutely. At some point I may even ditch my on site backup server as it's making less and less sense to maintain 2 local copies of all my media with little risk to losing all my data.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I'd say the main benefit of onsite backup is speed of backup/recovery, unless you have a VERY fast WAN connection.

Trade-off of course is you lose the location diversity (natural disasters, etc).

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'd say the main benefit of onsite backup is speed of backup/recovery, unless you have a VERY fast WAN connection.

Trade-off of course is you lose the location diversity (natural disasters, etc).
I just got FIOS Gigabit so that's part of why I'm more willing to accept the risks :cool:.

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
Absolutely. At some point I may even ditch my on site backup server as it's making less and less sense to maintain 2 local copies of all my media with little risk to losing all my data.
Maybe, but that extra bit of redundancy is useful. If my primary media server (non-striped array) is down for some reason (e.g. maintenance, new hardware etc. etc.), my backup system can do the job for the time being. My Plex users are so used to the 'service' I provide to them that they'd keep nagging me for hours during a downtime.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Maybe, but that extra bit of redundancy is useful. If my primary media server (non-striped array) is down for some reason (e.g. maintenance, new hardware etc. etc.), my backup system can do the job for the time being. My Plex users are so used to the 'service' I provide to them that they'd keep nagging me for hours during a downtime.
Haha, you've touched on the main motivating force behind me having setup a local backup of my bulk storage to begin with. My Plex/Emby users are quite vocal as well.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Alright, so I'm considering a major network setup change. I've had a 100Mbps Site-to-Site VPN connection between my house and my parents' for some time. I have a small 2-disk (3TB usable) Synology there that I store off-site backups (monthly VM snapshots, irreplacable data) for disaster recovery. I used to house my backup server there but moved it onsite for faster daily backups.

Well, both my home and my parents' have just been upgraded to FIOS Gigabit. So you know what that means, 1000Mbps VPN connection between the two locations. So I'm giving serious thought to moving my local backup server back to my parents' home. If my main storage server was down for any short period for maintenance I could simply mount shares across the VPN. I know my current firewall (C2758) can handle 1000Mbps OpenVPN but I'm doubting the node on my parents' side (Celeron J1900) can so I'd probably have to upgrade that.

Going to have to do some real world testing on this to see if it's a viable option.