Make everything new with my ESXi installation?!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Hi
I have an HP "Storage" Server who is fast enought and produce not that much heat. In some time the will move into my new Server Rack. I also order some new SSD (maybe someone see the other tread) and I have many Server HDD who are just inside the Box to get installed.
So... I would like swap the "HP" 410 ?! Raid Card with my LSI, Broadcom who is newer and maybe support SSDs.

That mean the old Raid System will be lost sure... My ESXi run currently on one Virtual (Raid) Drive not on a USB Drive.
a) when I make a clean install on a USB Drive are there and disadvantage? What is when t he USB Drive die?
b) When I move the now running Systems after the Shutdown onto a Temp drive and after a fresh install I move then onto the new System could I import them?
c) Is there any way to see the Drives who on a LSI, Broadcom Controller? On an "Desktop" OS like W7, W10, Win Server,... there is a Tool who I can chance anything on the Raid during the System is operate. Sure when I would delete the Raid who the Win is running on would be a very bad think...
Thanks

kapone

May 23, 2015
I sort of got what you are asking...will try my best:

a) No. When the USB drive dies...you make another one.
b) No.
c) I think you need to spend some time reading the ESXi documentation. It does not sound like you know how it works.