Main STH page (not forums) issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
When I'm reading or replying to an article on the main STH site, a large portion of the screen real estate is taken up by two things:
  • A large black box over the top half of the screen with a rotating white circle. This appears randomly but the page needs to be refreshed to get rid of it, which isn't really possible when composing a reply.
  • Large previous / next article text boxes on the lower left / right of the screen. If someone is composing a reply to an article, they probably aren't interested in clicking on those to go to a different article.
I end up using the mouse scroll wheel to scroll the page so I can review my comment. The above two items are fixed on the page, so I have to scroll to move my text out from under them.

Naeblis

Oct 22, 2015
Folsom, CA
@Patrick
I randomly get black over some areas in my screen in the formus section. I can correct in by taking my mouse over the blacked out area. I have not seen this issue on any other web site.

Items that might cause this and have nothing to do with your site.
  • P to V that I still have not deleted all the left over devices that are gone
  • host does not have a very good video card
  • no remote FX enable on this host
  • possibly over taxing the graphics of my personal machine that i use to connect to the VM
  • I am using a "console" connection and not RDP

upload_2015-11-27_8-54-54.png

Naeblis

Oct 22, 2015
Folsom, CA
just you know, you are actually using RDP. enhanced session is RDP.
<off thread topic>
I have always wondered how that is accomplished. My internet network is completely separate from my host network, and never shall the two be connected.
  • Separate switches
  • Hosts that have internet facing machines don't have internal VMs
  • The connection to the internet facing hosts is limited to two dedicated machines
  • Internet facing hosts are not part of internal domain
The exception is my WSUS machine that can only talk to the MS update site. Not quite SIPERNET or JWICS but it is as close as i can get (or so i think). I do use yellow cables though :p

The reason that this intrigues me is that several of my clients don't use split tunnel VPNs and when I was using windows 7 VMs, my VM would be "cut off" from the host. I have not gotten around to using a gen 2 VM to connect. I have just assumed that I will get more than 1600 x 1200 once i do.
</off thread topic>

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
@Patrick
I randomly get black over some areas in my screen in the formus section. I can correct in by taking my mouse over the blacked out area. I have not seen this issue on any other web site.
I think the OP must have meant the new today on the main site not the issues you are having. That is some kind of graphics rendering issue @Naeblis - either video card driver or RDP issue.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Terry, I know what that is, now I need to figure out how to fix it.