M11SDV-8C-LN4F BMC/IPMI networking gone wonky

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022

EDIT: `ipmicfg -m` showed a wonky MAC. Manually setting the BMC MAC to its original value with `ipmicfg -a <mac>` per @Egon did the trick.

I have no idea what happened. I had been testing another motherboard in a 721TQ chassis and decided to put the Epyc back in its home.

Booted up. IPMI grabbed an IPMI. I hit the web UI and... drat, forgot the password. No problem, I'll reflash BMC.

Now, IPMI will not network. At all. BIOS shows IPMI Network Link Status as "No Connect." It's as if no ethernet is connected even though working cables are plugged into Dedicated IPMI and LAN 1 with lights.

LAN1-4 all work in a live boot environment.

SuperDiag shows failures:
1667102454738.png

I've tried re-flashing/factory resetting BMC/BIOS, clearing CMOS, reseating RAM, rebooting router, saying three hail marys. Nada. I'm able to read/write config, like setting a static IP, using ipmitool, sensors work, but networking is dead.

Shot in the dark, but has anybody lost a night's sleep over this before finding a resolution? I will offer up a coffee, a really nice coffee, as a bounty...

Last edited:

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
please contact Supermicro, they have the right tools to solve this.
Thanks, that's what I figured and already reached out to them and the reseller. Just posting here to see if anybody has had a similar experience and what the resolution was.

Egon

May 30, 2022
Thanks, that's what I figured and already reached out to them and the reseller. Just posting here to see if anybody has had a similar experience and what the resolution was.
Yes, I have! Check the mac address of IPMI, if it's garbage or non equal what"s in the mobo, can cause this.
SM support will help, really, really helpful guys there!

X11SPI-TF solution :

You may use IPMICFG to set the IPMI MAC address to match the one on the sticker.
IPMICFG -a (you ipmi mac address)
IPMI Utilities | Supermicro

After then it's started working...

Regards,
Z

Reactions: zac1

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Yes, I have! Check the mac address of IPMI, if it's garbage or non equal what"s in the mobo, can cause this.
SM support will help, really, really helpful guys there!

X11SPI-TF solution :

You may use IPMICFG to set the IPMI MAC address to match the one on the sticker.
IPMICFG -a (you ipmi mac address)
IPMI Utilities | Supermicro

After then it's started working...

Regards,
Z
Dude, you're getting a coffee! Thank you so much!