M.2 RAID with Supermicro AOC-SHG3-4M2P

aoan mahmoud

May 8, 2018
Hi,
what would someone need in order to create and use raid 1/5 arrays with the use of the above (Supermicro AOC-SHG3-4M2P) and 4 x M.2 NVMe disks?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
^ this, that card is a HBA/pcie splitter essentially, you'll need to replace it with a Raid model style card or use your OS to create a software raid.
Edit: althought depening on your motherboard some of them have built in motherboard SW raid, I highly recommend letting the OS do it though.

Last edited:

aoan mahmoud

May 8, 2018
^ this, that card is a HBA/pcie splitter essentially, you'll need to replace it with a Raid model style card or use your OS to create a software raid.
Edit: althought depening on your motherboard some of them have built in motherboard SW raid, I highly recommend letting the OS do it though.
hi, what card do you have in mind? can you give me an example? however, when you say "let the os do it", are you referring to the above mentioned card, or to the one mentioned by you?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
hi, what card do you have in mind? can you give me an example? however, when you say "let the os do it", are you referring to the above mentioned card, or to the one mentioned by you?
Example:
Using a raid type card like this one (it does not have raid 5 though): HighPoint SSD7101A-1 NVMe RAID Controller, 4x M.2 Ports Supports 4x M.2 NVMe SSDs
You can use it with esxi, windows, or linux and easily install the os to the array and go off to the races pretty much.

Using the existing card "let the os do it":
With ESXI you're going to either need to do JBOD (which defeats your purpose) or VSAN, meaning you need regular HDD too and use the M.2 as Cache disks (you need at least 2 hosts for VSAN though so likely not viable).
With Windows you can setup a software raid via disk manager or use something like storage spaces to manage them.
With Linux you have a dozen options, based off your questions for ease of setup I would recommend something like freenas or similar dedicated storage OS with a nice gui on the front end and then let it format/control your m.2 drives, if you want to get more advanced you could setup ZFS on linux. (you would want a regular reliable SSD to install the OS on though as the array will be solely for data)

Reactions: aoan mahmoud

aoan mahmoud

May 8, 2018
Example:
Using a raid type card like this one (it does not have raid 5 though): HighPoint SSD7101A-1 NVMe RAID Controller, 4x M.2 Ports Supports 4x M.2 NVMe SSDs
You can use it with esxi, windows, or linux and easily install the os to the array and go off to the races pretty much.

Using the existing card "let the os do it":
With ESXI you're going to either need to do JBOD (which defeats your purpose) or VSAN, meaning you need regular HDD too and use the M.2 as Cache disks (you need at least 2 hosts for VSAN though so likely not viable).
With Windows you can setup a software raid via disk manager or use something like storage spaces to manage them.
With Linux you have a dozen options, based off your questions for ease of setup I would recommend something like freenas or similar dedicated storage OS with a nice gui on the front end and then let it format/control your m.2 drives, if you want to get more advanced you could setup ZFS on linux. (you would want a regular reliable SSD to install the OS on though as the array will be solely for data)
you have covered all of my questions-as well as the upcoming ones 100%
in other words, thank you so much!