m.2 PCIe adapter in Supermicro x9 motherboards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bzzz

Jul 14, 2018
@Savant and I have both used the Hyper M.2 x16 card from ASUS with the exact same results, it looks like only the first and fourth drive show up, when all 4 slots are populated.[...]

I tested mine in the X9SRW-F.
Did you do, by chance, similar tests with another adapter in the SXB2 (single x8) slot that usually carries the RSC-R1UW-E8R riser? My SXB1 slots have a quad x8 riser card in them, but the SXB2 is unpopulated and might be useful for a tiny system disk mirror...

kenelbow

May 22, 2015
I'm curious if anyone has tried this card in the X9 board. I figure if any dual NVMe board will work in an X9 board it would be the one made by SuperMicro, right?

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I'm curious if anyone has tried this card in the X9 board. I figure if any dual NVMe board will work in an X9 board it would be the one made by SuperMicro, right?
I have. I couldn't get it to work on either of my X9DR3-Fs or an X9SRL-F. It only ever see's one card. I tried it with Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 and ESXi 6.7.

It works fine on an X10SRA-F.

ctweaver

May 2, 2020
I have 2 of them running with 2 drives each on an X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD. I had to enable x4x4 PCIE bifurcation on CPU 1 slot 1 (furthest from the CPUs) and x4x4x4x4 on CPU 1 slot 2 (it is an x8 slot the "x4x4x8" selection did not work).

dooferorg

Jul 7, 2020
X9DRI-F here. Yea, have to report the Asus Hyper M.2 didn't work for me either. Due to physical fit of the card and memory slot I can only try in the x16 of slot 4 and slot 2. Neither worked and only reported 1 of the 2 NVMe drives I had in there (I tried NVMe position 1&2 and 1&4).

I had actually bought an X9DRI-LN4F before - but it wouldn't fit in my 4U case :rolleyes: so I moved to get the X9DRI-F. Ah well. I'll just get two simple x4 brackets and do it that way. I don't have the CPUs in that one else I'd test to provide another data point. Fortunately have enough slots to get by with what the server needs to do.

Given the compatibility for the AOC-SLG3-2M2 it seems bifurcation is a bit 'jank' at this age of board. Ah well. Maybe when I next 'refresh'.

Edit:

Having posted this it just occurred to me that I am testing with cheapo E5-2620 Xeons. I do have some E5-2673 v2s on order. I'll re-test with those and report. Since PCIe is very dependent on the CPUs, I wonder if that might make a difference?

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Having posted this it just occurred to me that I am testing with cheapo E5-2620 Xeons. I do have some E5-2673 v2s on order. I'll re-test with those and report. Since PCIe is very dependent on the CPUs, I wonder if that might make a difference?
Just FYI - All of my testing was with E5-2680v2s, and I saw the same results.

Mustung

Apr 7, 2020
X9DRI-LN4F finally working!

AND I have customized a bifurcation card for this one. With dual 8pin aux power i can run 4 2080S on it at full speed. The card also works on AMD B450 chipset motherboards.

Many thanks to you guys for great info in this thread.

Attachments

Reactions: Panagiotis

kagurazakakotori

Mar 5, 2017
X9DRI-F here. Yea, have to report the Asus Hyper M.2 didn't work for me either. Due to physical fit of the card and memory slot I can only try in the x16 of slot 4 and slot 2. Neither worked and only reported 1 of the 2 NVMe drives I had in there (I tried NVMe position 1&2 and 1&4).

I had actually bought an X9DRI-LN4F before - but it wouldn't fit in my 4U case :rolleyes: so I moved to get the X9DRI-F. Ah well. I'll just get two simple x4 brackets and do it that way. I don't have the CPUs in that one else I'd test to provide another data point. Fortunately have enough slots to get by with what the server needs to do.

Given the compatibility for the AOC-SLG3-2M2 it seems bifurcation is a bit 'jank' at this age of board. Ah well. Maybe when I next 'refresh'.

Edit:

I also replaced X9DRI-LN4F with X9DRI-F for 4U case, pcie bifurcation works fine with X9DRI-LN4F, but it is not working on X9DRI-F. This post says the board does not support bifurcation at all, and supermicro won't fix it.

Update: Supermicro send me a bios with working pcie bifurcation, details are in the following post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panagiotis

haxxa

Nov 2, 2020
Anyone tested the X9SRi-F model with Bifurcation, it hasn't received a BIOS upgrade to 3.4 and I suppose it would have issues similar to X9DRi on 3.3?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Anyone tested the X9SRi-F model with Bifurcation, it hasn't received a BIOS upgrade to 3.4 and I suppose it would have issues similar to X9DRi on 3.3?
I can probably test this later today or tomorrow. Please confirm you want it tested with BIOS 3.4 as I am not seeing a 3.4 download at SM. If you have a DL location for 3.4 please feel free to DM me or post it.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Is anyone able to get the x16 slot on an X9DRH-7F to bifurcate? I don't even get an option to switch it from x16 to x4x4x4x4 right now :(