M.2 NVMe vs SATA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

brewmonkey

Feb 26, 2020
Main concern is heat/power in a home server that sees pretty light VM/utility duty. Will a SATA drive run significantly cooler than NVMe in the M.2 slots? Are there some drives in one or both that are known for playing especially nice on the heat/power front? Performance is not much of a concern - just trying to enjoy freeing up some SATA ports for more storage (FreeNAS).

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
NVMe controllers are pretty mature now and don't suck near as much power or produce near as much heat as they used to. I wouldn't worry about it.

WhosTheBosch

Dec 20, 2016
I recently bought the Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME but found it wasn't as performant in ZFS as I wanted. So I researched and got the Intel P4510 U.2 then purchased a U.2 > PCIE card. In regards to your question, I found out that the U.2 and 2.5" drives can usually handle higher speeds and performance due to, I think, the higher power they use. You also have to look at the surface area of the device for heat dissipation. In a well ventilated case, I don't think it will make a difference between what you're looking at.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
I recently bought the Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME but found it wasn't as performant in ZFS as I wanted. So I researched and got the Intel P4510 U.2 then purchased a U.2 > PCIE card. In regards to your question, I found out that the U.2 and 2.5" drives can usually handle higher speeds and performance due to, I think, the higher power they use. You also have to look at the surface area of the device for heat dissipation. In a well ventilated case, I don't think it will make a difference between what you're looking at.
From what I've seen, SSDs often have more cache in the 2.5" form-factor relative to the otherwise-identical m.2 make/model. There's simply more room for more chips. This is probably why the specs for the former come out a little higher. As a side-effect of supporting more cache, the 2.5" version may draw a bit more power.

Regardless, form-factor aside, those are two very different SSDs.

brewmonkey

Feb 26, 2020
NVMe controllers are pretty mature now and don't suck near as much power or produce near as much heat as they used to. I wouldn't worry about it.
I put a couple WD Blue NVMe drives in the M.2 slots and they've been running nice and cool. Thanks for the replies/insights!