M.2 Expansion via PCI-E Adapter in E300-8D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vik

Jul 10, 2017
Hi, I have a Supermicro E300-8D system and I just found out that I can install multiple M.2 PCI-E SSDs via the PCI-E to M.2 Adapter cards.

I am specifically looking at the Amfeltec card that can support 2 modules. Since I have 2 x PCI-E x 8 slots on the E300-8D I could go with the model that supports a single M.2 as well.

Q1: Just wondering if anyone has any experience installing these in a E300-8D system?
Q2: The other part that concerns me is that these cards seem to have a backplate which won't fit in the E300-8D as it requires horizontal plate alignment. All these cards seem to have a vertical plate in relation to the module hence it won't fit. Just wondering if I were to unscrew the plate if this would cause any problems.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks for all your help

Last edited:

Vik

Jul 10, 2017
Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting that. It was very helpful. It seems that you have a 3d fan in your E300. Have you noticed any problems with not using the Amfeltec Fan that comes with the Carrier board that supports 4 Modules? Also, can you confirm that you are using the Amfeltec without the brackets attached. It does seem to in the pic's but just want to reconfirm. Thanks

larryexchange

Dec 27, 2016
Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting that. It was very helpful. It seems that you have a 3d fan in your E300. Have you noticed any problems with not using the Amfeltec Fan that comes with the Carrier board that supports 4 Modules? Also, can you confirm that you are using the Amfeltec without the brackets attached. It does seem to in the pic's but just want to reconfirm. Thanks
I didn't see any issue after removing Amfeltec Fan from the board coz I have the 3rd fan installed in E300-8D, which is almost dedicated for the PCIe board.

No, I didn't remove bracket. My adapter come with a low profile bracket. I installed the adapter w/ bracket into SuperMicro PCIe Riser.