M.2 E key -> PCIE -> Sata controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TobiasW

Aug 8, 2019
Hello Everyone

Have anyone tried to use a M.2 E key to PCIE adapter and then connect a PCI Sata controller to that adapter?
(Edit: And the obvious follow up question is: Can i expect it to work?)
Experiences with using a M2 E key(marked with "wifi slot" )to PCIE to "anyting" is valuable i guess :)

M2 -> PCIE Adapter: NGFF(M.2)Key A/E to PCI-E Express X1+USB Riser Card with High Speed FPC Cable | eBay

Cheap sata controller:
PCI-E PCI Express to SATA 3.0 4Ports Expansion Controller Card Adapter UK | eBay

Background:
I have a HP T730 with one Intel 4 port ethernet controller already attached to the one available pcie interface.
It's Running Proxmox with pfsense (4 port ethernet) and xigmanas (constitute the need for sata ports instead of a few external usb drives)

Last edited:

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
I've used a similar adapter to connect a 10G NIC to an ASUS N3050T board. 4 ports will probably max out the PCIe x1 though, I only managed to get a about 4gbps.

renedis

Apr 15, 2021
Reactions: abq

seguroski

Apr 22, 2023
I know this is an old topic to revive but i’m in the same boat. While searching I came to the same solution using 2 converters.

But then; just found a direct mount option:
m.2 e-key to dual SATA:

Did this work for you? I'm in the same boat, looking to expand a SATA storage to run VMs on SSD and keep the internal M.2 NvME for proxmox host.