LSI SAS9211-8i Intel RES2SV240 Expander and missing drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gruf

Aug 22, 2012
I Installed a LSI SAS9211-8i into a Intel S1200BT Motherboard. One port is attached to an Intel RES2SV240 expander. The second port is directly attached to 2 WD 3TB red drives via a SFF8087 fanout cable.

The Expander works normally with 20 drives attached by itself or with the fanout cable on the second port of the 9211.

But the expander + the second port active causes the 2 direct attached drives to show in the bios under SLOT 55 for both. This becomes unrecognized in the OS (FreeBSD 8.2).

When the Expander is Removed the 2 direct attached drives show as slot 0+1 and work as expected. Is there any fix for this problem? I've attached pictures of the bios in both cases.

BIOS version is P14 IT. (7.27.00.00) 2012.07.02

(MY current workaround is to remove the 2 drives off the second port and use on mainboard sata connectors). So I can confirm the drives function correctly.

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Did you try moving the expander to the other port and the fanout drives on the other LSI port?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Looking at the archives - odditory has used both. May want to pm him to get his attention on this thread. He may have ideas for you.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
That's bizarre, some weird bug (or maybe even intended behavior) having to do with the way the 9211 maps ports internally. I guess I would try getting on latest firmware - unless thats already latest - and continue to use the workaround while also running the issue by LSI phone support (forget emailing them). If its a retail 9211 then you'd have phone support available.

gruf

Aug 22, 2012
I guess I would try getting on latest firmware - unless thats already latest - and continue to use the workaround while also running the issue by LSI phone support (forget emailing them). If its a retail 9211 then you'd have phone support available.
Done Both. P14 is the latest firmware at time of writing and I've opened a ticket with LSI. Will see if they can provide any further insight.