LSI SAS9200-16e 16 Port 6 Gb/s SAS/SATA Host Bus Adapter - $16

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm torn. I don't have a need one of these right now, But, I don't have an external port card in the parts box right now either. And lately, every time I pass on something like this at a good price, I wind up needing one within the month. :confused:

Reactions: Sleyk and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I'm torn. I don't have a need one of these right now, But, I don't have an external port card in the parts box right now either. And lately, every time I pass on something like this at a good price, I wind up needing one within the month. :confused:
So if everytime you pass on one you need one a month later, buy and it put it in the parts box for use a month later. :)

This is especially important if you're going to spend more (lose money) buying it when you need it a month from now. If you're going to lose money either way and are going to need it either way, you should just go ahead and buy it at a discount so the only loss you have is one you can recoup by selling the card again.

This is what I would be telling myself in your situation. :D

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
Huh. This is a great price, it's actually cheaper than buying an internal-to-external bracket and associated cables. I've got one of the SGI Rackable DAS boxes for my backup drives hooked up via a long internal-to-external SAS cable running through an empty PCI slot to an internal SAS port. Not the best solution but it does work.

The only caveat with purchasing another HBA for this is that they tend to have high power consumption even at idle (10-20W in my experience). Looks like LSI specifies 13.5 watts for this one. Also, these are getting a bit old, and "only" do PCIe 2.0 x8, so 4GB/sec half duplex. That's plenty for spinners unless you're hanging a ton of drives off expanders. I might buy one just to have it, although I do have some 8-lane internal SAS cards sitting in my parts box already...

Edit: Aaaaand it's gone.

Reactions: Samir and Sleyk

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Huh. This is a great price, it's actually cheaper than buying an internal-to-external bracket and associated cables. I've got one of the SGI Rackable DAS boxes for my backup drives hooked up via a long internal-to-external SAS cable running through an empty PCI slot to an internal SAS port. Not the best solution but it does work.

The only caveat with purchasing another HBA for this is that they tend to have high power consumption even at idle (10-20W in my experience). Looks like LSI specifies 13.5 watts for this one. Also, these are getting a bit old, and "only" do PCIe 2.0 x8, so 4GB/sec half duplex. That's plenty for spinners unless you're hanging a ton of drives off expanders. I might buy one just to have it, although I do have some 8-lane internal SAS cards sitting in my parts box already...

Edit: Aaaaand it's gone.
Pcie speeds are full duplex