LSI SAS 9265-8i 6Gb/s 1GB cache RAID 170$ !?!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Hey, please correct me if im missing something, but this seems like an AMAZING deal, i may grab one even though i don't really need it.

Its listed as NEW as well.

LSI SAS 9265-8i Internal 6Gb/s Dual Core 1GB cache memory RAID Controller Card
169.75$ Buy it now + 2.50 shipping

ebay link

Manufacturer: LSI
Model: SAS 9265-8i
Description: Internal 6Gb/s Dual Core ROC w/ 1GB cache memory RAID Controller Card
Packaging Condition Details: Sealed Packaging (Sealed in Retail Pkg.)

Type: SATA/SAS
Internal Connectors: 2 x SFF-8087 mini-SAS
Interface: PCI-Express 2.0 x8
Transfer Rate: Up to 6Gb/s
Cache Memory: 1GB DDRIII
RAID: RAID 0/1/5/6/10/50/60

EDIT: as pointed out further down in this thread, this appears to be a DELL OEM card..while its a real 9265-8i in terms of hard ware, its a DELL OEM. just a FYI (im still not clear on whats the full significance of a card being OEM or real LSI, im hoping someone will clear this up)

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That looks pretty good. It is the older controller now (I think it is SAS 2108) but still looks like a good price on a new card.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I think it is a "discontinued" controller, but the 9265 is based on the SAS2208 Dual Core ROC with 1GB of 1333 DDR3, so not so shabby !

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think it is a "discontinued" controller, but the 9265 is based on the SAS2208 Dual Core ROC with 1GB of 1333 DDR3, so not so shabby !
You are right. I was wrong on the SAS2108 bit. The 9260 was the SAS2108 card.

Only one generation old controller so not bad at all.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
here are two reviews of the card listed above:

review 1 (storageReview.com)

review 2 (tweakTown.com)
(wow this card is doing 887 mb/sec avg sequential write on Raid5 8x intel 510 SSDs)

and a link to the card on amazon:

amazon link (409$ new)

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
That's a good deal on a very high quality card. Looking at the the photo, it does not include the battery unit, so budget around $175 to add one. The LSI part number is LSI00279.

With a bit of patience, you could probably find one for less - perhaps $150 - but that's probably not enough cheaper to warrant the effort required.

Hey, please correct me if im missing something, but this seems like an AMAZING deal, i may grab one even though i don't really need it.

ebay link

Description: Internal 6Gb/s Dual Core ROC w/ 1GB cache memory RAID Controller Card

ebay link

james23

Nov 18, 2014
I remember an old LSI card i had a while back would not allow me to set WRITE THROUGH cache mode if a battery was NOT connected, is this still the case? (IIRC it wouldnt even allow me to use RAID5 or 6 without a battery, but i could be wrong about this part) or can you force write through even with no battery on more recent LSI raid cards?
i realize this is not advised unless a UPS is used due to data loss (data written to the cache and then not able to be dumped to the actual drives in the case of a power failure).

have many ppl ran into this data loss/ corruption issue? i personally have never seen it happen through many many years of using write through with no battery on various home servers. (although my newest build does have batteries on the 3x raid cards). and i would never use write through with no battery on a business server build..

EDIT: FYI, i did a "sold search" on ebay for the same model number as this card, and the single lowest sale was for the same card, used for 93$ about 2 months ago, most sales were $200+ for the same card, used (this one is supposedly new , never used, and based upon the sealed anti-static bag, does appear to be new, unopened)

DBayPlaya2k3

Nov 9, 2012
Houston
I have this exact card (I paid much more for it a few years ago) and you can set WRITE THROUGH without a BBU no problem.

In fact this is currently how my RAID Array is set (though protected by a UPS).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
i had a while back would not allow me to set WRITE THROUGH cache mode if a battery was NOT connected, is this still the case?
All of the LSI 2108, 2208 and 3108's I have used recently just have a data loss warning that you can click through to enable.

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
Bought one for my new colocation build. Hopefully it has a nice performance boost over the 9240-8i it is replacing with my SSDs.

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
Be careful with these, I got a similar "great" deal on an LSI 9260, and turned out it was a dell OEM card. Had some issues with card, LSI support told me to call dell since it was their card, then the seller said since it was outside of the 15 day warranty he wouldn't take it back, and the card died a month later.

Reactions: Biren78

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I wonder if there's an AFR number for RAID cards. It seems like people have them die way more than NICs.

I'm tempted to get one of them and then just use the 1GB as read cache.

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
Be careful with these, I got a similar "great" deal on an LSI 9260, and turned out it was a dell OEM card. Had some issues with card, LSI support told me to call dell since it was their card, then the seller said since it was outside of the 15 day warranty he wouldn't take it back, and the card died a month later.
PayPal has a 180 day dispute window now. These supposedly are coming in their retail packaging, so they should not be OEM. Someone who has already received a card should be able to verify with LSI.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
most (99%) all my "items" from ebay are OEM :D.
do Not forget to install a fan to avoid overheat.

Make sure to test (burn-test for days) the card once you have it. to avoid limited warranty from ebay seller.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
PayPal has a 180 day dispute window now. These supposedly are coming in their retail packaging, so they should not be OEM. Someone who has already received a card should be able to verify with LSI.
paypal/ebay dispute is no fun!
I bought fans in quantity from an ebay seller, one is DOA. well the seller insisted to return the DOA fan.
As I know Paypal first resolution is talking to the seller first.
well not worth at the end, shipping takes $4 and the DOA fan was $8. I will only get $3-4 for a hassle. I just shoot PM from ebay: just forget it, not want to waste $4 just returning the DOA fan. Treated $8 as Shipping fee.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
I ordered one of these 170$ 9265-8i cards yesterday so it should be in by the end of the week (hopefully) so i'll be able to update this thread once i get the card with info on OEM or Real card, and results of stress test.

EDIT: i will say that from the picts the seller has of the packaging and the actual card inside the anti-static bag, this does look like a real LSI 9265-8i (the heatsink is the correct shape and the labels on the antistatic bag match up with LSIs as well) but you can never be too sure with ebay cards...:/

something else i try to do when buying off ebay is to check the users feedback and see if there is someone else that has already bought the card i want and has left feedback on it.

klree

Mar 28, 2013
According to the picts it comes with a Dell P/N. Looks like it is a real card for OEM.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
hey, how are you able to read that part number from the picts?

attached below is a direct URL of the pict posted (640x480 res) and i cant read anything from it, even in photoshop, are you seeing another image or something else?

From what i understand, a OEM card is not exactly what you want as i wont be able to run LSIs firmwares nor get support from LSI directly, is this correct? ( i ordered one on monday but it still doesn't show as shipped out yet on ebay)

EDIT: it also looks like alot of users in newegg reviews are saying that you MUST have a BBU in order to enable write back! some say the option is greyed out with out a BBU. can anyone confirm this who has this exact card? (i know others above said its not a requirement on other LSI cards, i find it crazy that LSI would not be consistent on that, but maybe so bc the cache is so big on this card?
newegg reivews link

thanks!

c2033a7d79163631578399b0954a7c36.jpg

Last edited:

klree

Mar 28, 2013
hey, how are you able to read that part number from the picts?

attached below is a direct URL of the pict posted (640x480 res) and i cant read anything from it, even in photoshop, are you seeing another image or something else?

From what i understand, a OEM card is not exactly what you want as i wont be able to run LSIs firmwares nor get support from LSI directly, is this correct? ( i ordered one on monday but it still doesn't show as shipped out yet on ebay)

EDIT: it also looks like alot of users in newegg reviews are saying that you MUST have a BBU in order to enable write back! some say the option is greyed out with out a BBU. can anyone confirm this who has this exact card? (i know others above said its not a requirement on other LSI cards, i find it crazy that LSI would not be consistent on that, but maybe so bc the cache is so big on this card?
newegg reivews link

thanks!

View attachment 161
You see the QR code? That only appear on the Dell card but not the genuine LSI card

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Crap..that sucks (i think?) . from what i understand (however i dont have any experience with OEM vs original parts except for HDDs and its been bad on those).

and OEM card like in this example, is NOT a good thing, right?

I loose direct support from LSI, and no ability to run/update with LSI firmware?

any thing else im missing or am incorrect on? Im kinda stressing now that i have the card coming in friday (about 48 hours from now).

EDIT: Klree is right, this is a dell OEM card.... see this link with the same qr code and listed as dell/LSI
link

tks

Last edited: