LSI SAS 9201-16e's for $40

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
You're not able to run a cleanflash?
Code:
megarec.exe -cleanflash 0
I've been in that fault state plenty of times with all the testing I've done with SAS2008 cards and always been able to recover. It's nearly impossible to brick these cards. The one way to brick them is by using sas2flash -o -e 6 which is why I never recommend using that to clean a card.

Nom

Oct 5, 2015
You're not able to run a cleanflash?
Code:
megarec.exe -cleanflash 0
No, megarec can't even see the card at all :

It's on it's way back to the seller already - great service - so hopefully the replacement will be functional !

Don't forget that PayPal will refund your return shipping fees upto 8 times per year - Return Shipping Refund - PayPal

mmx

Dec 18, 2015
I also picked up two card of these cards from the same seller. Due to improper packaging, both arrived with minor physical damages (bent bracket, heatsink popped off) and are not detected by any of the systems I tested them in.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
It's always nice to know you're not crazy and it was just bad hardware right? :)

Helmut101

Sep 28, 2021
I am in the same boat, new LSI SAS 9201-16e I want to flash to IT and sas2flash (UEFI) returns:
Code:
Chip is in Fault state. Attempting Host Boot...
ERROR: Firmware Host Boot Failed!

Firmware fault occured. Fault code: 0A
I do see the card in Windows though (consumer mainboard).

On regular boot I get:
Code:
Unable to load LSI Corporation MPT BIOSMPT BIOS Fault 05h encountered at adapter PCI(07h,00h,00h)
I will try in another mainboard (supermicro) and with older sas2flash version, but little hopes after 2 days trying everything else so far.

What is this megarec.exe - is it save to use on an LSI SAS 9201-16e Card (not Dell)? Where can I get it?

Helmut101

Sep 28, 2021
Thanks! I could find everything on the Broadcom site, except megarec.exe. Found this excellent guide that also includes links to all files (including megarec.exe).