LSI Sas 9201-16e

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
Haha. I've used this specific model for years. I only needed the half height cards with 8 ports, but at the time I bought my first ones well over a year ago the 16e's were literally half the price for double the ports. So I started just building JBOD chassis and using these cards instead.

I've still got tons of the 8088 external cables. It was one of those eBay deals a year ago that had way way cables than what I needed and thought maybe I should get a spare or two.. or twenty..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a spare Intel cage with a backplane
Spare 8x3.5 Hot-Swap Drive Cage Kit FUP8X35HSDK

Is it possible to use this cage/backplane along with this type of card (full height bracket) to increase my storage? Internally, I think this cage backplane needs a SFF8087 cable. How do I do the cabling? Is the right cable SFF8088 to SFF8087? Any suggestions on a small case/chassis? How do I get from the outside of the cage case to the internal SFF8087 connectors?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I have a spare Intel cage with a backplane
Spare 8x3.5 Hot-Swap Drive Cage Kit FUP8X35HSDK

Is it possible to use this cage/backplane along with this type of card (full height bracket) to increase my storage? Internally, I think this cage backplane needs a SFF8087 cable. How do I do the cabling? Is the right cable SFF8088 to SFF8087? Any suggestions on a small case/chassis? How do I get from the outside of the cage case to the internal SFF8087 connectors?
You are probably better off with a internal card by the time add the cost of 8088-8087 adapter, cables etc... My 2 cents.

Option1:
Get short 8088-8088 cables and use the following
Supermicro CBL-0386L -- This needs a PCI bracket. Has mounting for SC-847
Supermicro CBL-0168L --

Option 2: less elegant but will work.
use straight 8088 - 8087 and route them from external to internal thru' an open PCI slot

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Son of Homer

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Thanks nthu. I will explore both options.
Unless you already have this card and trying to make it fit for your use case, check out Internal cards. Since it's a 8x3.5 you can just get one 2008 / 2308 based cards for about $30 or less. If don't already have spare Internal 8087-8087 cables, pair of them can be had for < 20.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
I was hoping that I could use the spare cage in some sort of external case to add additional storage, and access it using this card. I do not own this card now. The price of Supermicro CBL-0386L cables, at $155 is way too expensive, and I also would need an external case, power supply, and probably more gear. The Supermicro CBL-0168L-LP is priced at $30 (not sure what the LP extension does), but also looks like it has a short bracket, and if I can use an old re-purposed case, it will need a full bracket. I do not even know if the intel cage will fit in a normal computer case, or if I can find a cheap case to do this with. Maybe I am better off just to use a cheap Mediasonic type case with usb3. I do have spare 8087-8087 cables. This is mainly for periodic backup purposes, so I do not need it always attached.

Stefan75

Jan 22, 2018
Switzerland
I was hoping that I could use the spare cage in some sort of external case to add additional storage, and access it using this card. I do not own this card now. The price of Supermicro CBL-0386L cables, at $155 is way too expensive, and I also would need an external case, power supply, and probably more gear. The Supermicro CBL-0168L-LP is priced at $30 (not sure what the LP extension does), but also looks like it has a short bracket, and if I can use an old re-purposed case, it will need a full bracket. I do not even know if the intel cage will fit in a normal computer case, or if I can find a cheap case to do this with. Maybe I am better off just to use a cheap Mediasonic type case with usb3. I do have spare 8087-8087 cables. This is mainly for periodic backup purposes, so I do not need it always attached.
It looks like the FUP8X35HSDK has 2x 8087 and 2x molex ATX power.
You could use the LSI9201-16e + 2x 'SFF-8088 to SFF-8087' cable + ATX power supply.
It won't look very nice (open PSU/case) and you have to power on/off separately (shorted ATX power pin).

If you put the FUP8X35HSDK in a separate case, then I agree with nthu9280's two options.
There are dual SFF 8088 to 8087 full height adapters on ebay for $20 (china).

Beware of the high 12V disk power-on current if they all start at the same time.
Start up Power Draw - 45 Drives Technical Information Wiki

I was using single USB3 disks for years... was quite happy with the performance... but the cables were a mess.
The mutli bay USB cases are nice, but I think they cost too much... especially if you have a lot of disks.

Recently I'm using a HP DL380 G6 with a SAS2008 HBA (internal).
On the other side I have a SC846 24 bay case with HP SAS expander.
I currently connect these with an internal SFF 8087 cable going through open pci slots (ugly).
I'm switching to a 9201-16e to clean this up.

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
Economics dictate one of the 2 ghetto solutions. I do not like the idea of an open case, and the power issue raised by Stefan75, along with all required to build up in a separate case, moves me to the conclusion that the attractive value of this card is more than offset by cost and fragility of a frankensteined setup. I think I will just use a usb enclosure or 2 for the backups, and work towards another, possibly networked solution.

Thanks nthu9280 for once again sharing your knowledge and wisdom. Stefan75, thank you for your insights.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Economics dictate one of the 2 ghetto solutions. I do not like the idea of an open case, and the power issue raised by Stefan75, along with all required to build up in a separate case, moves me to the conclusion that the attractive value of this card is more than offset by cost and fragility of a frankensteined setup. I think I will just use a usb enclosure or 2 for the backups, and work towards another, possibly networked solution.

Thanks nthu9280 for once again sharing your knowledge and wisdom. Stefan75, thank you for your insights.
I've been using mine for a few months with one of these https://www.amazon.com/CableDeconn-SFF-8088-SFF-8087-Adapter-bracket/dp/B00PRXOQFA brought back internally, if you wanted hotswap you can add just about any cage to a typical tower.
From a power perspective I've seen and used these before Supermicro Cse-ptjbod-cb1 ATX PWR On-off Control Board for Sc942 JBOD Storage | eBay
If you're only aiming for 4-8 drives you quickly end up with a well contained system using those and a small PSU.

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
I've been using mine for a few months with one of these https://www.amazon.com/CableDeconn-SFF-8088-SFF-8087-Adapter-bracket/dp/B00PRXOQFA brought back internally, if you wanted hotswap you can add just about any cage to a typical tower.
From a power perspective I've seen and used these before Supermicro Cse-ptjbod-cb1 ATX PWR On-off Control Board for Sc942 JBOD Storage | eBay
If you're only aiming for 4-8 drives you quickly end up with a well contained system using those and a small PSU.
Thanks. That little adapter bracket looks good. I guess the next step is to figure out the power requirement for my cage, and see if I can use an old case or find a cheap new one. I am in that 4 - 8 drive category.