LSI RAID Controller and HBA Complete Listing Plus OEM Models

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You have to select "legacy products" in the product group to see drivers/firmware for "older" hbas/raid controller

Edit:
Broadcom.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleyk

eexodus

Oct 11, 2022
You have to select "legacy products" in the product group to see drivers/firmware for "older" hbas/raid controller

Edit:
View attachment 24802
Thanks! I had downloaded it from Wayback but yea I was entering 'legacy' the wrong way I guess. Their site isn't the most intuitive... I've had issues with three of my slots in my SuperMicro SC847 44-bay randomly disconnecting and I was hoping upgrading from firmware 16 to 17 would help. Edit: OK I mis-read their available downloads and see I'm already on the latest firmware... ah that's not great.
Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 10.06.27 AM.png

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Active cooling like a fan on the controllers heatsink?
No, all the new models rely on high airflow from system fans. I think adaptec series 6 were the last models with an optional official fan kit from the manufacturer.

ZeDestructor

Oct 3, 2015
Is there any RAID5 controller with BBU and PCI-E 3.x (5xSSD@sata) that do not need active cooling?
I don't think those really exist as i386 pointed out, they all rely on chassis airflow. workaround for us in our strange setups is to attack a 40mm fan to it somehow

RickGrick

Feb 9, 2017
thanx a lot. I was searching and nothing. Can you recommend anything? I will use it in proxmox@raid5 with 5 SSD disks. Since I will put it on pci-e x4 port PCI-E 3.0 is necessary.

Last edited:

ZeDestructor

Oct 3, 2015
thanx a lot. I was searching and nothing. Can you recommend anything? I will use it in proxmox@raid5 with 5 SSD disks. Since I will put it on pci-e x4 port PCI-E 3.0 is necessary.
If you insist on hardraid, I'd go for somthing based around the SAS2208 or SAS3108 controllers then, though IMO doing som form of softraid is a better option

RickGrick

Feb 9, 2017
If you insist on hardraid, I'd go for somthing based around the SAS2208 or SAS3108 controllers then, though IMO doing som form of softraid is a better option
I have now softraid in ZFS and this is best option that I tested and it use too much CPU

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Does anyone know whether the power consumption of a HBA is proportional to the number of connected disks?
I am debating whether to get LSI 9300 or 9305 card, the latter of which is easily twice or thrice as expensive, and power consumption would be the only selling point. I have a home server in a desktop case, so there is not really sufficient airflow to cool one of these cards (and I presume there are no aftermarket fan brackets).

lightingman117

May 19, 2021
Does anyone know whether the power consumption of a HBA is proportional to the number of connected disks?
I am debating whether to get LSI 9300 or 9305 card, the latter of which is easily twice or thrice as expensive, and power consumption would be the only selling point. I have a home server in a desktop case, so there is not really sufficient airflow to cool one of these cards (and I presume there are no aftermarket fan brackets).
I wouldn't worry too much about cooling it when there are pci slot (not a product endorsement, just an example) fans available.

I'd get whatever is most compatible with your host OS & future growth (SSD or NVMe need for speed?)

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Well, the board I have (Supermicro X11-SCH-F) only has two PCIe slots, and both are used, so there's no way I could get one of those fans in there. Those also tend to be pretty noisy, whereas the micro Noctua fan I mounted on my current card I could get down to like 1000rpm.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Is the 9440 crossflashable to 9400? If I understand it correctly, the cards should be physically identical, but 9440 is the RAID version and only has different firmware?

maxp

Feb 6, 2023
This thread is awesome! Has anyone considered converting it to a google sheet a-la the NewMaxx SSD sheet?

kryten

Apr 10, 2023
when running the 9400-16i is it hotswap when using the internal cable with nvme?

or is it a case of rebooting the machine to detect the drive?

cerkas

Aug 4, 2023
Great information on this page. I have been using it as a reference guide for a couple of weeks now. I decide to join the forum so I could ask some questions.

I have a home built PC that I dual boot between Ubuntu 23.04 and Windows 11. The MSI Z690 Ace mother board does not have am Ubuntu driver for the built in raid, they only support Windows. I have 3 - 18TB HDD in a raid 5 array (which I will grow as needed) and 3 - 4TB HDD in a different raid 5 array. I also have a couple of other disks that I will not raid. I boot off a M2 device attached to the motherboard that I will not raid. My motherboard supports 6 SATA drives, I have 8 drives in my tower, so I need to added capacity to connect more drives. My application is mainly a home media server with a large amount of data, but is not typically high i/o. I rely on raid 5 for protection from hardware failure. I have concern of rebuild time when there is a HDD failure given the size of the 18TB HDD array.

The system is overly powered CPU/RAM/GPU to allow many years of growth. So, I want to do the same with my storage subsystem. I may have to go to external storage at some point, but I don't expect that for a few years. I only have one PCI slot that is accessible remaining and it is just above the power supply. I have a high air flow cabinet (Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW Full-Tower ATX). I am concerned about the space for an additional 40mm fan to cool the raid controller.

1) Do I have to go to hardware raid in order to access the raid arrays under both operating systems?
2) Do I have to have an additional fan directly below the raid controller? Or will the airflow of the tower be sufficient?
3) If I am planning for years of usage - am I wrong to think that I need a 94xx or 95xx controller for longevity of support? Or could I do something less powerful?
4) Do the newer chips produce less heat in the controller?
5) What causes the controller to produce more heat (amount of I/O, number of devices, other)?
6) If I go with a 16i controller, can I run cables out an empty PCI slot to an external storage device? Or do I have to go with an 8i8e controller?
7) I will expand the 18TB raid 5 over-time, adding additional storage to it as needed.

Maybe I should ask - do you have a recommended controller given my use case? I am OK with spending $$, but want to do so wisely.