LSI RAID Controller and HBA Complete Listing Plus OEM Models

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
I got an RS2BL040 a long Time ago and flashed it with the LSI Firmware.
The show me now LSI/ Intel in the Boot Menu. I forgott which Version the Original one was?
Does anyone know it? I commare it with pictures back then it worked.

Shansen008

Jun 28, 2020
I recently purchased a Lenovo N2215 (LSI 9302-8i)

Does anyone know if windows has built in drivers for this hba or where i can download them if not? Will the drivers for the 9300-8i suffice? I purchased the card specifically for the vertical connectors not understanding that it was an oem product.

Reactions: pixelBit and Sleyk

Ingvarhost

Apr 12, 2012
Hello! What OEM analogs of the SAS 9300-8I are currently the most interesting to buy on Ebay? I am looking for a modern HBA for ZFS.

Reactions: Sleyk

Ingvarhost

Apr 12, 2012
There actually quite a few you can buy right now. There is the 9340, the 9341, the Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8I/L8E, there is the Fujitsu D3307, The Dell H330/HBA330 and more.
Thank you very much for your answer! Are firmware from SAS 9300-8I suitable for Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8I? Or should I only use the ones from the Supermicro website? Is it possible to flash them into IT mode without BIOS?

P.S. I am also afraid to buy a fake when buying from China.

Last edited:

ncaahockeyfan

Nov 29, 2020
Hello. First, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place to post this question.

I have been running an SAS 84016E for twelve years with ten 2tb drives. The controller is connected to 16 ICY DOCK bays and servers run a TYAN S5512WGM2NR motherboard.

With all the "free" cloud based storage, I have not really had much need to upgrade - and it's not really worth adding additional 2tb drives. However, with Google recently announcing new limits and subscriptions, I have decided it is time to get my server ready for additional/new drives.

My main issue with the 84016E is its 2tb HDD size limit. This is a home server (WHS 2011) that will primarily store multimedia files backed up from all of the family's, and extended family's, devices. We have gigabit internet and a full Unifi system to manage traffic.

I would prefer the easiest drop-in upgrade. Based on some cursory eBay and Google searches, it looks like my 2 best options might be either the:

SAS 9750-16i4e

or the

SAS 9280-16i4e

Any recommendations on these two or other suggestions?

many thanks

Maery Fedorica

Jan 19, 2021
Has anyone tried to add LEDs to the headers on an LSI card? The User Guide shows the following for my 9270CV-8i card:
  • J1A1 Global Drive Fault LED header
  • J1A2 Write-Pending LED header
  • J1A5 Individual PHY and Drive Fault Indication header
I'd be interested in hooking these up, and I guess any old case might have some LED header connectors. But are there solutions for ad hoc use that I could lay inside my server to give me an idea when something is amiss? I would imagine the OEMs, like Dell's PERC would connect to their backplanes and such, but I am just using the breakout SATA connectors on mine. Also, I think these allow me to use the LSI Storage Authority to select "Start Locating" for a drive and it should flash the correct LED. That sure would come in handy during a drive failure.

Please add this card with an unusual OEM:
  • NEC N8103-152 (brand sticker) Rev. C2B (sticker nearby)
  • MR SAS 9270CV-8iL3-25422-28A (MegaRAID sticker)
  • L4-25436-04A (sticker on cachevault)
  • FRU 00JY023 EC:N33186 (sticker on the supercapacitor)
  • L3-00098-00A (sticker on supercapacitor)
  • 1 GB cache
  • It came with Firmware 3.152.155-2153 (23.21-0061) WebBIOS 6.1-33-Rel
  • I chose to update to BIOS Firmware Version : 3.400.45-3507 (any higher version caused CacheVault or CVPM02 supercapacitor to not be recognized per this thread) and I had to use StorCLI64 /c0 download file=mr2208fw.rom noverchk to ignore a downgrade error.
  • I updated the ROM for the Gas Gauge here (because it's similar to an Intel® RAID Controller RS25AB080) (I think a Gas Gauge is control module for the CVPM02 CacheVault) because "Through ongoing long term testing, Avago has determined that an update to the Gas Gauge firmware is needed to prevent a situation where the SuperCap is prematurely declared Fault status."
  • Works in Windows 10 with LSI Storage Authority 7.15
  • I have been unable to locate info about this card through Broadcom, but it's a dual-processor version of the 9265 it would seem
  • The Windows 10 driver version 6.714.18.0 calls it an LSI MegaRAID SAS 9265CV-8i, but LSA calls it the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9270CV-8i
  • I was unable to get the older MegaRAID Server Manager working well at all. It was not easy to use.
  • This was very difficult to install due to the newer UEFI BIOS on modern PCs. I had to turn on then off UEFI booting to get to the old blue screen BIOS Config Utility
  • Perhaps this controller lost its time after sitting on a shelf. I recommend fixing it if you have problems, like: storcli /c0 set time=systemtime because mine was set to July 2135.
And as an aside, this thing is fast! In RAID 5, with regular SATA HDDs, I've got sequential speeds about 60% of my NVMe SSD. 1 GB/sec sequential from spinning disks is amazing. I've been lurking for years on this thread, and thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Maery Fedorica

Jan 19, 2021
  • Perhaps this controller lost its time after sitting on a shelf. I recommend fixing it if you have problems, like: storcli /c0 set time=systemtime because mine was set to July 2135.
There is a major issue with the card's date. The card is so old, modern (correct) dates do not store properly. So I can't save a 2021 date. I tried to save it as a 2011 (exactly 10 years in the past) and it seemed to work. Perhaps this will also fix an issue where I cannot use the LSI Storage Authority interface to edit anything about the automatic patrol read.

Code:
>MegaCli64 AdpGetTime a0
Failed to get data on Adapter 0
FW error description:
 The controller real time is not set.
Exit Code: 0x31

>MegaCli64 AdpSetTime 20110517 23:20:00 a0
New date/time is set on Adapter 0
Exit Code: 0x00

> MegaCli64 AdpGetTime a0
Adapter 0:
    Date: 05/17/2011
    Time: 23:20:25

lightingman117

May 19, 2021
1) Thanks for the list; very helpful for building a TrueNAS server!

2) I didn't check all the posts, but post #6 could get cleaned up a tiny bit.
-9300-4i4e should be 9311-4i4e
-9311-xxxx series have basic Raid 0,1,1E,10 capabilities
-links don't work or go to the wrong place
-Some sort of blurb about the SAS (IO Controller) vs model number (9300 vs 3200 is confusing)

3) Add the new 9400/9500 (3400/3800 controller) cards

---

I'd happily do all that since I'm already going through each card and reading the spec-sheet, but I'm not a mod... and can't edit someone else's post. [This isn't a wiki]

Ravefiend

Sep 20, 2013
One other point of interest that is becoming more important these days is whether the HBA/RAID controller supports 4K native (4Kn) drives.

Some references:

Yeah that is probably what I should have asked - a list of the latest FW available for each OEM card or its sidegraded alternative

I have a bunch of older stuff to look into (about 4GB!) to see what's the most current / work out what is what
-- Perhaps I'll upload what I have to a site ((M1015 based))

Last edited:

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
I know this had been asked multiple times already but I'm starting out with HBA cards so I don't have much experience. If I'm going to use mechanical HDD's (for a NAS), is there any sense to get a SAS2308 compared to just getting a cheaper SAS2008? I know that with spinners, you really won't saturate the PCIe 2.0x8 bandwidth with the SAS2008 chipset but I'm not sure if there are other things to consider. Or is the price difference between the two so small that it's worth just getting the newer SAS2308 for future proofing?

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I know this had been asked multiple times already but I'm starting out with HBA cards so I don't have much experience. If I'm going to use mechanical HDD's (for a NAS), is there any sense to get a SAS2308 compared to just getting a cheaper SAS2008? I know that with spinners, you really won't saturate the PCIe 2.0x8 bandwidth with the SAS2008 chipset but I'm not sure if there are other things to consider. Or is the price difference between the two so small that it's worth just getting the newer SAS2308 for future proofing?
I don't see any good reason to use the 2308 vs 2008. I think we tried that at one point and had some OS / driver compatibility issues -- the 2008 is more universally compatible. The performance difference will be negligible.

Now, sas3 vs sas2 is a different matter -- a system with 12+ hard drives drives connected to a sas3 expander and sas3 hba will be noticably faster than a sas2 expander / sas2 hba. For direct attach applications for hard drives, sas2 should be fine.

Reactions: ebroock

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
I don't see any good reason to use the 2308 vs 2008. I think we tried that at one point and had some OS / driver compatibility issues -- the 2008 is more universally compatible. The performance difference will be negligible.

Now, sas3 vs sas2 is a different matter -- a system with 12+ hard drives drives connected to a sas3 expander and sas3 hba will be noticably faster than a sas2 expander / sas2 hba. For direct attach applications for hard drives, sas2 should be fine.
Ok, got it. I know these cards are designed to be used in server chassis with high airflow. Since I'll be using mine in a desktop case like the Fractal Design Node 304 or Node 804, will I need a 40mm fan strapped on the 2008's heatsink? I've read that the 2008 runs significantly cooler than the 2308 too so not sure if I still need a fan (which will obviously add noise to the system).

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Ok, got it. I know these cards are designed to be used in server chassis with high airflow. Since I'll be using mine in a desktop case like the Fractal Design Node 304 or Node 804, will I need a 40mm fan strapped on the 2008's heatsink? I've read that the 2008 runs significantly cooler than the 2308 too so not sure if I still need a fan (which will obviously add noise to the system).
I expect if it gets any airflow at all it'll probably be fine.