LSI RAID Controller and HBA Complete Listing Plus OEM Models

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
It's been a long time since I had to maintain my M1015's, where should one search for firmware these days? does the changed LSI still offer downloads

Is there an archive on STH
Sorry my friend, the latest 9211 firmware came out back in 2016. LSI/Avago won't be updating the firmware on the 2nd Gen HBA's anymore, so if you have the latest P20 (20.00.00.70) firmware, that's it :.)

Reactions: GoofyHSK
Yeah that is probably what I should have asked - a list of the latest FW available for each OEM card or its sidegraded alternative

I have a bunch of older stuff to look into (about 4GB!) to see what's the most current / work out what is what
-- Perhaps I'll upload what I have to a site ((M1015 based))

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleyk

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Yeah that is probably what I should have asked - a list of the latest FW available for each OEM card or its sidegraded alternative

I have a bunch of older stuff to look into (about 4GB!) to see what's the most current / work out what is what
-- Perhaps I'll upload what I have to a site ((M1015 based))
Sounds good! That would be a nice contribution when you can get to it my friend :.)

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
I know this had been asked multiple times already but I'm starting out with HBA cards so I don't have much experience. If I'm going to use mechanical HDD's (for a NAS), is there any sense to get a SAS2308 compared to just getting a cheaper SAS2008? I know that with spinners, you really won't saturate the PCIe 2.0x8 bandwidth with the SAS2008 chipset but I'm not sure if there are other things to consider. Or is the price difference between the two so small that it's worth just getting the newer SAS2308 for future proofing?

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I know this had been asked multiple times already but I'm starting out with HBA cards so I don't have much experience. If I'm going to use mechanical HDD's (for a NAS), is there any sense to get a SAS2308 compared to just getting a cheaper SAS2008? I know that with spinners, you really won't saturate the PCIe 2.0x8 bandwidth with the SAS2008 chipset but I'm not sure if there are other things to consider. Or is the price difference between the two so small that it's worth just getting the newer SAS2308 for future proofing?
I don't see any good reason to use the 2308 vs 2008. I think we tried that at one point and had some OS / driver compatibility issues -- the 2008 is more universally compatible. The performance difference will be negligible.

Now, sas3 vs sas2 is a different matter -- a system with 12+ hard drives drives connected to a sas3 expander and sas3 hba will be noticably faster than a sas2 expander / sas2 hba. For direct attach applications for hard drives, sas2 should be fine.

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
I don't see any good reason to use the 2308 vs 2008. I think we tried that at one point and had some OS / driver compatibility issues -- the 2008 is more universally compatible. The performance difference will be negligible.

Now, sas3 vs sas2 is a different matter -- a system with 12+ hard drives drives connected to a sas3 expander and sas3 hba will be noticably faster than a sas2 expander / sas2 hba. For direct attach applications for hard drives, sas2 should be fine.
Ok, got it. I know these cards are designed to be used in server chassis with high airflow. Since I'll be using mine in a desktop case like the Fractal Design Node 304 or Node 804, will I need a 40mm fan strapped on the 2008's heatsink? I've read that the 2008 runs significantly cooler than the 2308 too so not sure if I still need a fan (which will obviously add noise to the system).

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Ok, got it. I know these cards are designed to be used in server chassis with high airflow. Since I'll be using mine in a desktop case like the Fractal Design Node 304 or Node 804, will I need a 40mm fan strapped on the 2008's heatsink? I've read that the 2008 runs significantly cooler than the 2308 too so not sure if I still need a fan (which will obviously add noise to the system).
I expect if it gets any airflow at all it'll probably be fine.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
As long as you have at least a little airflow over the card's heatsink, it will be perfectly happy. The only real benefit of going with the newer card would be for adding a NAND array at some point in the future and using pcie 3 :)

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
As long as you have at least a little airflow over the card's heatsink, it will be perfectly happy. The only real benefit of going with the newer card would be for adding a NAND array at some point in the future and using pcie 3 :)
Ok then. I'm sold on a 2008!

Any recommendation on a specific 2008-based card? Perhaps the Dell H310?

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
When does vertical vs. horizontal SAS plug orientation come into play anyway?
When the card is installed in a low height enclosure...say a 2U high rack case for example. The bend required on the cable in order not to foul the lid, right as it exits the card, is way tighter than you would want. It's therefore better to take it from the back of the card instead. Same goes for mounting the card in a riser, where the cable is likely to foul something else entirely right beside it, like a fan or other heatsink etc. All that said, sometimes it's just neater to train your cables that way :)

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
When the card is installed in a low height enclosure...say a 2U high rack case for example. The bend required on the cable in order not to foul the lid, right as it exits the card, is way tighter than you would want. It's therefore better to take it from the back of the card instead. Same goes for mounting the card in a riser, where the cable is likely to foul something else entirely right beside it, like a fan or other heatsink etc. All that said, sometimes it's just neater to train your cables that way :)
I see. And if I understand you correctly, the horizontal orientation is better for the use cases you mentioned above?