LSI Megaraid 9260-4i - card disappears when computer sleeps

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

haydentech

Nov 6, 2019
I've been using the 9260-4i happily in a Windows 7 Dell Precision box for about a year. I just upgraded to Windows 10 on a nearly identical Dell Precision, moved the card and drives over, and everything appeared to work fine at first glance. However, when the machine goes to sleep, the card and the drives silently disappear from Device Manager. Scanning for new devices in Device Manager does not find them. The only solution to get the drives back is a reboot.

What I've tried:
Tried 5 different BIOS's on the Dell Precision 3620 that it's in
Updating the BIOS to the latest available for the 9260-4i
Updating the drivers to the latest available for the 9260-41
Motherboard replacement in the Precision 3620
Tried sleep with no drives physically connected to the card (the card still disappears)

This card has Windows 10 64-bit drivers, so I assumed it's qualified to run on Win 10/64. So what's going on here, and how can I fix it?

If this card is known to be not compatible with sleep on Windows 10, can anyone recommend a compatible, newer RAID card that is?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleyk

haydentech

Nov 6, 2019
Thanks for suggestions! I moved from Intel software RAID to this card because it offered almost 50% speed improvement. That said, I think I am going to dump the RAID card for now. I've tried a full clear and reload of the drivers, which did not change the behavior. And this machine *was* a fresh install, so I don't see a use in doing it all over again. My plan now is to simply buy a much larger NVMe drive to house what used to be on the RAID, which will definitely solve my speed issue -- those suckers as unbelievably fast. My old RAID drives will become non-RAID'ed backup.

Reactions: Sleyk

IGadget

Jan 10, 2020
I know this was a bit ago, but I noticed that you were using the Win10 drivers, had you thought to use the proper Manufacturer driver rather than the never updated Win10 Drivers?

haydentech

Nov 6, 2019
I know this was a bit ago, but I noticed that you were using the Win10 drivers, had you thought to use the proper Manufacturer driver rather than the never updated Win10 Drivers?
Yes, I tried several versions of the manufacturer's drivers. All had the same issue, and I eventually got rid of the card altogether and went with a different solution. I would never use an LSI RAID card again after that experience.

ICPete

May 12, 2020
While I see that haydentech finally gave up on their LSI RAID card, I've just built up a new system with an LSI 9361-8i controlling four WD40EFRX 4 TB drives in RAID 5. The mobo is Gigabyte TRX40 Designare. It nominally works fine, but I have the same issue that the controller disappears when the system goes to sleep and doesn't come back without a hard boot. I've posted about this issue on the Gigabyte forum, as I assumed it had something to do with the BIOS and control of the PCIe slots. I'm trying to get the OS set up so it never goes to sleep, but not sure I've made all the right settings for that. It's Win 10 Pro 1909. I've had good results using LSI RAID adapters in the past two workstations I've built (in 2008 and 2013), and I paid a lot of bucks for this adapter, so I'd like to get past this one little issue!

IGadget

Jan 10, 2020
I was always using this in server conditions so I never ran into this issue in Win10. Two things you can try, when you open properties for the controller in the device manager, see if there is a power management tab or if there are advanced settings available to block the the power management state. The other trick, and this may be easier to accomplish with the Vendor driver is to edit the INF file before you install it and comment out the ACPI Sleep state controls. This will prevent them from being applied to the registry and would likely prevent windows from sleeping at all, since one device wont be able to attain the sleep condition and the state change --should-- fail without falling over.

Paolo

Aug 30, 2022
I don't know if it is too late to reply but I just got here.
LSI does NOT support for the HDs to go to sleep reason being that somewhere sometime someone has lost the array or data or both.
I have been arguing with them for the best part of 2 days then I had to give up.
FYI I run a X99 MB w WS2k8R2 an LSI 9260-8i 4x 4GB HDs in Raid 5 and I can put the system to sleep without any problem, Sleep not Hibernate.
For LSI that is not possible but after doing it for close to 4 months, without ever loosing the array or nay data, I can say that in this configuration the system works and is stable.
The only reason of my discussion with LSI was that the power setting of the OS puts the system to sleep after 20 mins of inactivity therefore even the HD are in a steady state and when the power is removed they just stop spinning, when activity is detected the system comes back to life.
The only thing that bothered me was the fact that the disks were not spun down so the power was removed when the system went to sleep in an abrupt way. So far I have had no issues since the heads where in a safe position but I would prefer to put them to sleep properly but LSI is not cooperating.
I believe that your problems in the first post must have been for the use of W10. Maybe you should try a different OS to see if it works but remember that on the WebBios I can only put to sleep spares and unconfigured goods which I don't have.
Somebody suggested to use SSDs but I don't know what happens if you cut power abruptly to an SSD and I do not want to try blowing one up plus the cost of 4x 4GB SSD is way too much.
If any of you have had a chance to try an HBA and see if it will allow to put HDs to sleep I would appreciate if you would let me know.