LSI HBA 9207-8i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rentay

Apr 16, 2013
Hi all,

Just a quick question, I'm finalising my server and am wanting to add a LSI 9207-8i so I can have 8 x WD Red 3tb.

My question is, can I setup a software raid 5 or 6 using this hba?

I will be running the latest OmniOS + Napp-it.

Regards,

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Yes. HBA is what you want to use with software RAID. But with ZFS you want RAID-Z or RAID-Z2

rentay

Apr 16, 2013
Hi Biren78,

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for any confusion, I will be using Raid-Z2.

What would be better the Lsi 9201-16i or 9207-8i?

Regards,

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
With 8 drives I would just get the 9207-8i but others may differ. Makes a bigger difference when you have more than 8 drives or you start using SSD. For WD Red either is fine.

rentay

Apr 16, 2013
I was going to use 8 WD Red on the Lsi card and a SSD as boot drive on the SATA III port on the motherboard.

Is there any setting up for the Lsi card I need to do through Napp-it or OmniOS or is it recognised automatically?

Regards,

rentay

Apr 16, 2013
Bump!

Another question, are these Lsi cards in IT mode from the factory or is there a process to place them in this mode?

If I'm using OmniOS + Napp-it do I even need to place the card in IT mode? I'm still a little confused and any help would be greatly appreciated!

rentay

Apr 16, 2013
Just a quick question, I'm about to pull the trigger on my server build and wanting to confirm the LSI 9207-8i is compatible with latest version of OmniOS & napp-it?

Will I encounter any problems?

Regards

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Just a quick question, I'm about to pull the trigger on my server build and wanting to confirm the LSI 9207-8i is compatible with latest version of OmniOS & napp-it?

Will I encounter any problems?

Regards
I run one of these with Napp-IT and OmniOS. No issues at all, just ignore all soft smart errors on hard drive, it's the same for other LSI cards, does not mean anything.

I also cannot get SGPIO working, not sure whether that's my cable or the card doesn't like my backplane.

rentay

Apr 16, 2013
What are soft smart errors? I'm new to file servers so it is all a learning curve so far!

Also, do the errors happen on all LSI cards?

Regards

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
What are soft smart errors? I'm new to file servers so it is all a learning curve so far!

Also, do the errors happen on all LSI cards?

Regards
On Solaris you have error counters for soft, hard and transfer-errors. They are reported on driver level. They are not failures resulting in degraded pools but can indicate future problems.

If you use smartmontools on Solaris and Co, a tool to read out disk-smartvalues and do a full check to get disk health state, your smart error counter goes up on every check. You should know that this is not a real problem.