LSI 9440-8i Boot config menu

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Anthony A

Apr 12, 2018
Hi,

So i got myself a 9440-8i Card. I slap it into a machine and when it boots i get no "CTRL-..."

I have no idea how to access to menu to configure raids. I looked up online and it says to active EUFI boot in the bios and the menu will apear in the bios... I put it in a Lenovo TS440, No such menu appears.

Any Ideas, I will try it in another machine on monday...

Reactions: nthu9280

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You have set the boot option to DUAL or UEFI and also the slot the card is placed in?

Anthony A

Apr 12, 2018
I tried 2 slots, the card "posts".
The card posts at bootup, I see the Model, disks attached and it run through some kind of initialisation process. but no option to enter config.
I did set the bios to dual. but instructions says it would apear in bios? (nothing appears) - also updated bios to latest version.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Bios integrated usually only works if card and main board are from the same vendor if at all.

I'd look at a hotkey to enter the bios of the card. Or maybe it has no bios flashed?

Anthony A

Apr 12, 2018
It has a Bios or we could not boot from it. (i can boot with a "win10 to go", then with the avago software configure the card)

It would be a shame is LSI created a card (lsi-9440) that only works on a few devices... seems unlikely. (in case of a issue its always piratical to have access to card without having to boot off a usb-key)

I had the same problem with the Lenovo 530-8i, so i figured, ok, they only work with Lenovo latest gen servers, I can see Lenovo doing that as the card is 100$ less than the original...

But a Mega Raid branded card, now i'm surprised. i will try to choose it as "boot device" i found a thread that mentioned that. but it will wait until Monday, hardware is at my office.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Are you actually booting from it or can you boot with it in place and then configure from Windows?

If you can boot from it then you most likely have a bios and you could just try to identify/press the hotkey.
And you didnt mention it explicitly, you set the Bios Boot options for Dual, and also the individual slot? At least on Supermicro Boards there are two different locations in the Bios to do that.

Anthony A

Apr 12, 2018
Yes the Card boots, we tested that. if i boot to windows and then configure the raid, i can do everything like a normal raid card. I just can't figure out how to get into the "bios menu" on boot up.

I tried both x16 slots on the board. (its a lenovo e3 based server) - I also tried the card in a S2600cp2, but back then i had not figured out that i needed to set the bios to UEFI.

Like I mentioned on the first post. the card list itself on after bios splash screen (like all previous gen lsi cards we sold) does an init, then shows drives and raid and then finally "boots" up windows. but no mention of CTRL-R or A or maybe another combination.

The instructions state, to use HII to configure card (from within bios)

i will try to update Bios on LSI9440... maybe that is the issue.

MegaRAID 9440-8i Tri-Mode Storage Adapter Quick Installation Guide (229 KB)

Anthony A

Apr 12, 2018
Follow up.

So looks likes the only way to access the Card is through "HII" interface, StorCli or windows APP.

Beware if you buy a 9440 or 9460 card you will run into issues to configure card on older Hardware.
I tested the card in two different machines and nothing.
Looks like you need more than UEFI bios, you need one that supports "HII" (meaning 2.1+)
I am a bit short on time to do more testing. its possible to boot of a usbkey with StorCLI and manage the card that way. not as "easy" but it will have to do, i need to deliver the machines that we sold!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm interesting, never heard of that.
But 2.1 is quite old actually so should be on most boards nowadays...

Version 2.1 of the UEFI specification was released on 7 January 2007. It added cryptography, network authentication and the User Interface Architecture (Human Interface Infrastructure in UEFI). The latest UEFI specification, version 2.7, was approved in May 2017. (wikipedia)

Anthony A

Apr 12, 2018
I found no documentation on LSI(broadcom/avago) website about whats compatible and whats required.
I tested the card in a LEnovo TS440 server (around 3 years old) and nothing is added in the bios.

I also tested a New Desktop computer... nothing either.
I am about to try it in a TD350 server (+/-2yrs) today (let see...)

Yeah i am aware about uefi being around for a while... but like lots of things, its only on cut-off date that we are pushed into new standards...

Squaberlander

Sep 23, 2019
I currently have the same issue, I will have to dig and do research in order to fix this, does anyone has a solution? I tried the cards into 2 different motherboard so far (Supermicro x11dpi and an old ASUS P6T), I see my drives into the LSI BIOS at boot but no option to enter into the BIOS in order to setup the Raid.

It's realy frustrating, I have been using LSI cards for years and it's the first time I have this problem, I'm building 12 workstations with this particular Raid card, I have reveived all my cards today and the first 2 cards that I have tried have this problem, so I supposed they all have this problem.

If someone can help it would be much appreciated.

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
I currently have the same issue, I will have to dig and do research in order to fix this, does anyone has a solution? I tried the cards into 2 different motherboard so far (Supermicro x11dpi and an old ASUS P6T), I see my drives into the LSI BIOS at boot but no option to enter into the BIOS in order to setup the Raid.

It's realy frustrating, I have been using LSI cards for years and it's the first time I have this problem, I'm building 12 workstations with this particular Raid card, I have reveived all my cards today and the first 2 cards that I have tried have this problem, so I supposed they all have this problem.

If someone can help it would be much appreciated.
Setup menu (HII) only shows up inside UEFI. I posted a screenshot of how it looks here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...elf-a-530-8i-on-ebay.21588/page-2#post-220335
If you are not seeing the menu on X11 board maybe try to enable/disable the secure boot.

Squaberlander

Sep 23, 2019
Thank you for answering, it is very appreciated, unfortunately I looked everywhere in the BIOS of the Supermicro board and there's nothing concering the Raid adapter. Secure boot is disable by default on this board, I have noticce (it is disable by default).

I will keep reading forums and call Broadcom support , there' some stuff about this in their FAQ with a phone number to call.

I must find a solution.

Squaberlander

Sep 23, 2019
Ok, i found the solution, CSM must be disabled in order to see the Raid card into the Advanced section of the Supermicro BIOS. But before to disabled CSM you must switch the onboard VGA from Legacy to UEFI, and then it is possible to disabled the CSM. You then reboot and the Raid card apear into the Advanced menu.

Thank you for your help, you pointed me toward the solution.

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
@Squaberlander glad to see you were able to get it working.

If for whatever reason you can't have CSM enabled permanently you can flash unsigned rom file and then HII menu should appear in UEFI GUI even if CSM is disabled.