LSI 9400-16i, 8e $250/180, 9300-16i $290 NIB, warranty

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by Rand__, Jun 12, 2019.

1. StevenDTX

StevenDTX Active Member

The 9400-16i works in unraid as well. Now I need to order some new cables so I can swap it into my main unraid box.

2. CaptainPoundSand

So000...
    I got my cables in - They work! BUT there was a caveat ... If you use the first 2 ports for NVME, the last 2 ports will only do SAS2 / 600MB or SATA3 / 600MB/s. So for an SATA 3 or SAS2 array these will work exactly like you want.. But for my SAS3 Array - I loose the 1200MB/s and go to 600MB/s for the 20x SAS3 drives. For most this is more than enough, but my SAS3 do 800MB/s+ so I'll take the extra bandwidth, vs gaining a PCIE slot back..

Suffice to say I have 2x pairs of these special cables up for offer..
    Paid 106/each shipped - will sell $80/each shipped. :)

Rand__ likes this.
  3. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

That explains how it does handle all the needed pci-e lanes of the attached devices with only an x8 slot ... not :(
    Thanks for the heads up

4. jcl333

jcl333 Member

By the way, I downloaded the GUI for Windows from the Lenovo site for this card, and it has an extremely easy page where you just point to the firmware file and press upgrade, really easy for those of you running Windows. Note that you could also do this from a Windows live USB drive and keep it around just for that purpose (I actually did). It has upgrades for the firmware, bios, and also the UEFI one.

-JCL

5. jcl333

jcl333 Member

This sounds like something Broadcom should address in a future firmware update.

Also, I hooked this up to an Intel RES3TV360 expander, and the latest firmware for the expanded specifically mentioned support for tri-mode cards, I wonder if that might work and would be very interesting. With two 48Gig cables to the expander, you would still get good bandwidth from even multiple NVMe SSDs, and you would still get all the IOPs from them. I personally don't see much of a problem with this, I have not seen an NVMe drive yet that could by itself saturate the 32Gig x4 PCIe interface they are used with. My point is that with several on a card like this you could probably reach the saturation point without needing a huge number of PCIe ports.

-JCL