LSI 9341-8i - Device cannot be started (error 10)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Javaan

Nov 11, 2016
Hi there,

after a bit of an odyssey I am rebuilding my setup to suit my data storage needs. However, it turns out to be less of a walk in the park that I imagined. The LSI 9341-8i will not be started by Windows 8.1 64 bit (Error Code 10), as can be seen here. Windows complains about an I/O error.

Let's start with the setup:
- Main components: Intel 3940K processor on an ASUS P9x79 motherboard (BIOS 4801), 16 GB DDR3 RAM
- Graphics: GTX770
- Bootdisc: Samsung EVO 256 GB SSD Disc

As I need to increase my storage capacity, I wanted to build a new RAID5 setup with:
- controller 1: LSI MegaRaid SAS 9341-8i, able to manage 8 SATA drives
- additional to that, not linked to the RAID: controller 2: DAWIControl 624e, connected to Chieftec CBP-2131SAS, containing of three more drives (to ba added later)
- Discs: 8x 4TB Western Digital Red (WDEFRX) drives

The PCIe slot occupation on the motherboard is as follows:

1) PCIe 3.0 x16_1 slot: graphics card
2) PCIe 2.0 x1_1: unoccupied
3) PCIe 2.0 x1_2: unoccupied
4) PCIe 3.0 x16_2: DawiControl 624e controller
5) PCI 1: unoccupied
6) PCIe 3.0 x16_3 (at x8 mode): LSI MegaRaid SAS 9341-8i (problem is reproducible in slot 4 as well)

After starting the system (BIOS phase):
- the DawiControl Controller is recognized correctly (no drives attached to it, nothing configured)
- the LSI controller is recognized correctly. Initially, it stated that there was an 8-disc JBOD, which has been deleted, and a RAID5 VM with 8 discs has been created

However, booting in Windows:
- it did not show the Dawicontrol controller at all
- it showed the LSI controller, but with errors. I have installed the latest drivers (as can be seen here and here), but it gives Error 10 (device cannot start, error code 10), as can be seen here.

To avoid IRQ or other incompatibility conflicts, I have removed the DawControl card and restarted the system. Unfortunately, to no avail. Updating the outdated firmware of the LSI card has been tried several times, but also to no avail, as the card cannot be found (which can be seen here).

I'm slowly running out of wits/skill for this one, your help is very welcome. Many thanks in advance!

Best regards from Holland!

Last edited:

Javaan

Nov 11, 2016
Small update: I've tried to update the FW by booting in DOS with a bootable USB Stick, which requires the entire system to be stripped. Unsuccessful, unfortunately.

Javaan

Nov 11, 2016
Good morning! Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have tried it in slot 4, but is has not shown any difference. What exactly do you mean with BIOS reset? Reset to factory defaults? I did that, too.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Do you have another computer to perform flashing?
When I have problem with flashing LSI firmware , I use a 8 years old AMD computer to update LSI firmware.
If the old computer failed to flash LSI firmware in DOS mode, then I would take the card to my latest computer, start UEFI shell to flash it.

Reactions: Javaan and Patrick

Javaan

Nov 11, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion, this indeed looks like a plan... were it not that I had the last old PCs sent to recycling yesterday (no kidding). The machine I am trying to fix is the oldest one... (no kidding, I could throw up, this really could have been an option)

cata81

Feb 4, 2018
Here's the solution that worked for me:

I've a 9341-8i on a Gigabyte H97N-WIFI, I've update the controller firmware on DOS environment (google for the guide), I was getting error "This device cannot start, error code 10" while trying to install drivers on Windows 10.

I've tried many BIOS settings and after some late nights I found the setting worked for me is to disable "CSM Support" on BIOS, after this no more "This device cannot start, error code 10"

One (litte for me) downside is that I can't access to CTRL-R on BIOS post, I can't see that page anymore, but since I don't need it is not a big issue

pingo83

Feb 10, 2017
Sorry to reply to a thread 2 years old, but THANK YOU!!!. I have been pulling my hair out with "Will not start, error 10" in the device manager with a MegaRAID 9440-8i. I have tried everything I have learned over the decades during the last week to no avail. Reading this message made me remember that I had enabled the "Legacy Boot" options in the UEFI to get a USB stick to boot. I had not associated that change with the RAID problem, as I didn't boot again normally for several days.

Any way, I read cata81's comments about CSM Support and the lights came on. Changed Legacy Boot back to Disable, and finally persuaded the dell to visibly boot (old monitor, PS2 kbd&mouse, ...) and the MegaRAID is working fine and my two big SAS drives have reappered. Joy!
Thank you so much. I hope this thread continues to jog other old folks minds :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SirCrest

sfajardo

Jan 14, 2022
I just registered to say THANKS to cata81 and pingo83, after reading your comments I played with BIOS setup to run a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i on a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 motherboard today Jan/14/2022

Have to use Legacy mode ON to setup the raid, them disable Legacy mode/CSM so Windows 10/64 v21H2 could use the raid card.