LSI 9340-8i IBM M1215 12GB SAS controller $65 - $10

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016

shhyguuy

Jul 10, 2015
unfortunately I don't have any spares. I see brackets listed for LSI 9750 that look like they should fit...anyone know?
Any generic lsi brackets should work. I bought some of the 1.99 brackets from China, I think labelled as for 9211-8i, and they worked just fine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Coming from China, I'm always hesitant about that...Did you already receive them? Long wait? Thanks.
Shipped July 23rd.

Delivered August 2nd.

I haven't had any problems with getting stuff shipped from China, usually takes 1.5 to 2 weeks. Look for that part on ebay, there might be US based sellers. Chinese sellers are usually cheaper for small stuff like this though.

Now if you ever had to return something...

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Thanks. Looking at the shipping ($3) plus part, 1 would cost ~$4.
The LSI 9750 bracket I found is HERE. Buy Now would be $4.85 for 1. Ship from California. Unfortunately 5 of them raises the shipping to like >$10 while the China ones only cost slightly over $3.80 to ship all 5.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Thanks. Looking at the shipping ($3) plus part, 1 would cost ~$4.
The LSI 9750 bracket I found is HERE. Buy Now would be $4.85 for 1. Ship from California. Unfortunately 5 of them raises the shipping to like >$10 while the China ones only cost slightly over $3.80 to ship all 5.
If you're looking to buy just x1 then that seller doesn't work. I bought x20 and shipping came out to $6.80. It was the cheapest I found per bracket at the time.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Yea all the US stores cost like $10/bracket. I'm going to purchase from China and wait. I'm not even going to try to low ball them with a $2 x 5 offer. Thanks.

Now I just need the cables.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Question for people with this card. Are you able to access the webBIOS or any LSI controller tools during POST? I'm never prompted to enter LSI configuration during POST. I have 3 of these controllers in a chassis. During POST it loads the firmware and everything though. From reading the IBM manual it says to access webBIOS you hit CTRL+H but it doesn't work for me and I'm never even prompted for it.

I know most of you are just flashing right to the LSI IT firmware for the 9300 card, but I wanted to mess around with the IR firmware on these first.

FYI, the disks show up, the controllers show up, and everything "works". At least in ESXi it does. I just can't access the configuration software during POST.

This is in an Intel server (dual E5-2670's).

It looks like all 3 cards have different FW packages? Not sure what the problem is.
IMG_20161024_124011.jpg

Last edited:

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Only booted once with stock IBM Serveraid firmware to make sure it wasn't DOA.

I flashed all of mine to LSI IT firmware and also flashed the UEFI and legacy BIOS ROMs. I can access them via boot sequence pressing CTRL+C or whatever the keypress is.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Only booted once with stock IBM Serveraid firmware to make sure it wasn't DOA.

I flashed all of mine to LSI IT firmware and also flashed the UEFI and legacy BIOS ROMs. I can access them via boot sequence pressing CTRL+C or whatever the keypress is.
It doesn't even look like IBM firmware. It looks like LSI firmware. The firmware for the SAS9341 is HERE and I think it is what is loaded on these 9340 cards (the archived firmware is denoted the same as what is shown in my screenshots). But it does denote the card as an M1215 so idk.

Searching online it sounds like a lot of people have had issues access the CTRL+H webBIOS for LSI MegaRAID cards. But no matter what I've tried the CTRL+H option never shows up and I simply can't get into it.

I really don't understand the "MegaRAID" stuff. From what I gather the difference is just the firmware/software. So what does using a MegaRAID 9340/9341 get you that a 9311 or 9300 doesn't? The 9311 support IR firmware so you can run RAID 0/1/10. The 9300 support IT firmware which gives you the best HBA experience. Surely the MegaRAID stuff has to do something that I'm missing or why would they even bother.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I flashed my dell 9341-8i equivalent to LSI IT firmware and NO option bios/rom. If you are not booting off it and/or you are doing software raid (which you should, these are the slowest "hardware" cards with very limited features) you don't need the rom. All it does is slow down the boot process and add a point of failure, especially if you are doing ZFS etc you want nothing else touching the bare disks.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
I don't know if you are replying to me. I know all that already. I'm no stranger to flashing IT firmware or ZFS. I simply wanted to see the MegaRAID firmware and test it out before flashing the cards. For the sake of science. It simply doesn't make sense to me that I can't get into the configuration menu for it during POST.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Well MegaRAID Storage Manager works and can see the controllers fine under Windows Server. Seems to just be some issue with accessing WebBIOS during POST on my motherboard/server (Intel server).

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Anyone know is the white header to the right if the heatsink for a fan? It looks like a fan header (2 pins) but not sure. Believe it is labelled J5. Looked in a bunch of IBM/Lenovo/LSI docs but wasn't mentioned.