LSI 9300-8i Will not show any Disks connected with direct connect cable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SonicUniGamer

Nov 29, 2021
Hello.

I hope that someone in here have a little more experience with this than i do.
I bought an LSI 9300-8i to connect directly to two 1.92TB 12G sas drives.
I then also bought TWO different kinds of cables that would take SATA power to power the drives, i know they deliver power as i have a 4TB drive that spins up when connected to the cable.
First the card i bought had very old IT firmware on it, and when connected to a backplane of an x3650 M5 it showed drives perfectly, but with the cables i bought connected to the card it did not show drives.
My work buddy then had an old 6G adapter laying around with cables that also just took SATA power to power the drives, tried putting that in my home PC, and drives showed up perfectly, i then noticed the firmware on his card was IR, and thought the LSI 9300-8i i bought needed to be flashed with IR firmware, as when in my windows environment the drives i connected showed up.
I then took my card with me for work where we have servers that support BIOS32, and made FreeDOS usb with the firmware on it, flashed the card, and got home - No luck with IR firmware on my 9300-8i...
So how do i get this card to work, do it really need to be IT, i know IT is for passthrough, but then that does not make any sense since my buddys card was IR and just passed through the drives to OS?

Please help, as if i don't get this to work i would have wasted a lot of money on nothing

Kind regards Frederik.

SonicUniGamer

Nov 29, 2021
Hello.

many thanks for the reply, but unfortunately the videos provided does not help me a bit.
issue is that the card shows disks when in old IT mode are connected to a backplane ofa server, just not showing disks with direct attached cables :/

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Do you happened to have another cable to try ?? some time cable can be bad too, in fact I have dumped a few cables because one of the breakout cables (facing the disk) just does not work.

SonicUniGamer

Nov 29, 2021
No, I have the two I have now, and I tried a different brand before, also 2 cables, none of them works for me

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Hello.

many thanks for the reply, but unfortunately the videos provided does not help me a bit.
issue is that the card shows disks when in old IT mode are connected to a backplane ofa server, just not showing disks with direct attached cables :/
If I had to guess, you might be having the "power disable" issue... which was mentioned in one of the videos above.

SonicUniGamer

Nov 29, 2021
Power disable is not the issue, as I have had a 3,5” 4 TB 7,2K RPM sata disk connected, and I can hear and feel it spinning up, so drives ARE getting power

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Power disable is not the issue, as I have had a 3,5” 4 TB 7,2K RPM sata disk connected, and I can hear and feel it spinning up, so drives ARE getting power
"power disable" issue is not about the drives getting power. It's about 3.3V lines that is causing the drives to shut down. If your 4TB drives don't have the power disable issue, they will not be affected anyway. If your SAS drives are SSDs, you cannot feel them spinning or not.

SonicUniGamer

Nov 29, 2021
"power disable" issue is not about the drives getting power. It's about 3.3V lines that is causing the drives to shut down. If your 4TB drives don't have the power disable issue, they will not be affected anyway. If your SAS drives are SSDs, you cannot feel them spinning or not.
Hmm, okay, but I can feel the SSD’s getting warm when they are outside my chassis, so that should not be the issue?