LSI 9300-8e 12gbps SAS starting to show

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klree

Mar 28, 2013
SAS definitely cost more than SATA. Just like asking why do we have SCSI and IDE 20 years ago.

Computurd

Feb 22, 2011
Much better with SATA Express!

SAS originally debuted in aircraft. The interface is designed for active/active and allows for uber reliability with failover/etc. SAS has features that scream 'mission-critical'.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I get all of that. Here's my two things:

#1 1/2 the engineering by going to a single interface. No need to design, tool, and build SATA and SAS controllers
#2 Intel already is making SAS in their chipsets like the C606

Computurd

Feb 22, 2011
SAS is much more expensive, and sucks more power, to make it a viable solution for consumer applications. This basically creates a tiered structure where customers pay for the amount of 'service' that they require.
Intel is putting SAS onboard motherboards, but that is an extremely limited application that cannot match the features offered by other cards/controllers.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
SATA -> SATA

SAS -> SAS

you don't want sas talking to sata, bad mojo.

It's silly you can buy a 16gb laptop without ECC- bit flip/rot is very real. same with storage, wiring (networking) etc.

Dr_Drache

Jun 7, 2013
SATA -> SATA

SAS -> SAS

you don't want sas talking to sata, bad mojo.

It's silly you can buy a 16gb laptop without ECC- bit flip/rot is very real. same with storage, wiring (networking) etc.
I don't fully understand, SAS/SATA has been hot swappable for YEARS, hell, in some cases SATA is recommended OVER SAS.
so how is it bad mojo when they are pretty much the same thing to a end user? (end user, being an admin/people on this forum)
according to DELL/HP when i was buying servers a few months ago, the message was clear, how many IOPS you need ($$ you have obviouslly) determined
what drive is used, normal data - SATA, critial data SAS, critial data with best IOPS $$ can buy, SSD.

Computurd

Feb 22, 2011
The people who need SAS already know they need SAS. It has specific features for those who need them.

Dr_Drache

Jun 7, 2013
The people who need SAS already know they need SAS. It has specific features for those who need them.
honestly, I'd like to know what features you are speaking, the SCSI pathing? the WWN? the higher command voltages? the scsi error correction system?
with proper enterprise hardware, most of this is non-issue (unless, as stated, you have serious critical data that REQUIRES said features, which is getting less, and less "REQUIRED") , NLS takes care of that, and MOST SAS cards run sata anyway (encapsulated data-streams)
so other than the SMART commands, and sata drives older than the 3gb/s spec, it's really a tossup.

Computurd

Feb 22, 2011
Well, as i said above, those who need SAS know it. Multi-path, failover, wideport, longer cabling, end to end data integrity.
Also, something for you to research. What is the maximum QD for SATA? Is SATA as scalable as SAS? Full duplex? What is the difference between SATA and the much more robust SAS command set? Tagged Command Queuing?
Simply because most SAS cards run SATA isn't a sound reasoning for getting rid of SAS. All the encapsulated SATA in the world isn't going to suddenly create SAS features on a SATA storage device.
Surely the thought has occurred that all of the billions of dollars spent on SAS storage by these multi-billion dollar corporations is for a reason? Do you think the architects at these large datacenters are using SAS 'just because?'.