LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vvu

Oct 24, 2016
Just an update on mine. Three zfs scrubs later everything works fine. My buddy got his new cables from 10gtek and he's good as well. We are both running with PCI and not auxiliary power (but we both have same motherboard).

If you guys have any issues check your cables! I'm in no way connected to 10gtek but their SAS-HD to sata breakout works fine and their SAS-HD to 8087 also worked. Luckily they are one of the lower cost vendors on amazon. If you guys have success or failure please post back the cables your using so everyone will know which to avoid and which to purchase.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine arrived today. Seems to work just fine without aux power. Running 13 drives on it at present. :)

Need to add I'm running it in a 16bit slot on a SM X9SRH-7F (on board HBA disabled).

Reactions: gb00s and Sleyk

NNate

Feb 19, 2021
I've seen people in the past zip-tie fans to other HBA cards when not used in server cases with noisy high RPM fans. Would that be needed in the case of this card? What's the heat like?

I've never had an issue with my 2 LSI 9211-8i cards.

Reactions: Sleyk

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine runs 60 to 65c which isn't too bad. Given the size of the heatsink it might be difficult to get better cooling beyond that which the chassis provides. But I could be wrong. YMMV.

Reactions: Sleyk and NNate

SOULV1CE

Jul 24, 2022
Bought one today. Seller raised price to $135. I offered $120, they countered with $130 :/

I still accepted as I wanted to pair with a SAS3 backplane upgrade I am doing.

Reactions: Sleyk and Fritz

NNate

Feb 19, 2021
Oh wow, there were 5 left when I posted that... 5 sold in 15 minutes, good job STH friends :)

Madhelp

Feb 7, 2013
The seller has added more cards to listing at $135. Also it looks like the five cards that were sold at $109 were nixed as the sale is gone from the sold log.

NNate

Feb 19, 2021
I ordered shortly before I posted the $109 deal. Mine will be here on Friday at that price. It's on its way

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
There's no shortage of these so somebody must have dumped a boatload of them.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I paid $130 for mine and have no complaints. Shows no wear at all and works perfectly. Didn't hook up the aux power as the chassis doesn't have a 6 pin connector but it doesn't seem to need it. It's handling 16 drives without issues.

NNate

Feb 19, 2021
The $109 card arrived today. I don't see any issues with it. Appears to be a clean pull - nothing out of the ordinary.

I won't be able to test it out for a couple weeks, but seems good on the visual inspection level

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
My old 9300-8i going trhough an Intel Res 2SV240 expander in my test build (I use it for badblocks testing of drives, flashing firmware, etc) started acting up, randomly dropping drives etc, so it was time for a replacement.

I was able to pick up one of these 9300-16i units on eBay from a well rated seller for only $95 with free shipping.

It should do quite nicely in that role.

In my storage server I already have a 9305-24i.

Love these controllers.

Let's see if it already has P16 IT firmware on it, or if I have to re-learn how to flash these things... again...

It feels like it always goes just enough time between reflashes that I have forgotten enough that I have to figure it out again. :p

Last edited:

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
Offered this seller $85 and got countered at $90

Anyone have a link to latest it firmware for these?

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Offered this seller $85 and got countered at $90

Anyone have a link to latest it firmware for these?
The repeated mergers and acquisitions (LSI --> Avago --> Broadcom) coupled with poor website design make the firmware difficult to find even if you are good with google.

I THINK this is the latest firmware straight from the source for these, at least for IT/HBA firmware, not sure if these have RAID models:

It says "for external multipath configurations", but I think firmware 16 is firmware 16...

Someone knowledgeable, please correct me if I am wrong.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Side note:

It looks like these have a supplemental power connector:

1668705293273.png

Pretty sure that's a standard 6pin PCIe power connector like most of us are used to seeing on video cards.

Is that accurate? Is it really needed, or is it for some sort of special applications?

Edit:

My bad, I didn't read thread history.

Sounds like consensus is as follows:

The PCIe standard requires that 8x slots be able to provide at least 25W. This card requires 26.9W.

The PCIe standard requires that 16x slots can provide 75W, so if you stick it in a 16x slot you should be fine without supplemental power.

Some motherboards provide the full 75W even to slots that are smaller than 16x, but that is not required by the standard, and just the result of the board manufacturer going above and beyond. 16x physical slots that are 8x electrically tend to fall into this category (but no guarantees).

When in doubt, just run the supplemental power cable. If it is indeed just a 6pin VGA/PCIe power cable they come with just about every consumer power supply (but probably not with most enterprise models) so with a little luck most of us have one kicking around that will work.

(Don't use modular power cables with power supplies they didn't come with. There is no wiring standard on the back end, so they could potentially all be different, resulting in a NASTY surprise if you mix and match)

Last edited:

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Its "overkill" sas3 speeds for spinning rusts but just enough for home labber. I was able to retire my sas expander...
That was my take too. Way overkill my for spinning rust. I figured a 92xx-16i 6GB/s model would have been more than enough for my needs, but they were WAY more expensive on eBay than the 9300-16i for some reason.

:confused: