LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vvu

Oct 24, 2016
My friend and I each got a card for $120 best offer. I am waiting for cables but the card looks fine to me.

Its an older HBA with 2 chips + pcie switch built in so it draws 27 watts instead of the newer ones at 13.

This card should do 4k sectors.

Happy hunting

JDMWAAAT

Owner, serverbuilds.net
Aug 15, 2016
forums.serverbuilds.net
My friend and I each got a card for $120 best offer. I am waiting for cables but the card looks fine to me.

Its an older HBA with 2 chips + pcie switch built in so it draws 27 watts instead of the newer ones at 13.

This card should do 4k sectors.

Happy hunting
Could you elaborate what you mean by "this card should do 4k sectors"?

All 9200 series cards are 4k compatible, as far as I'm aware. The only difference is that some are unable to boot off of 4k sector drives, which is generally irrelevant for most people.

vvu

Oct 24, 2016
I was warned by bitdeals when looking at some larger drives.

Could you elaborate what you mean by "this card should do 4k sectors"?

All 9200 series cards are 4k compatible, as far as I'm aware. The only difference is that some are unable to boot off of 4k sector drives, which is generally irrelevant for most people.

JDMWAAAT

Owner, serverbuilds.net
Aug 15, 2016
forums.serverbuilds.net
I was warned by bitdeals when looking at some larger drives.

That list really only has to do with what I said above - booting off of those drives. If you're not booting off of them, then you don't need to worry about it at all.

Aside from that, you don't really need a 12Gbps SAS card for 3.5" SAS drives, even if their interface is 12Gbps. They won't even touch 6Gbps speeds if you're using them direct attached. Maybe it's a little different story if you're using them in an expander backplane.

Reactions: Sleyk and Samir

vvu

Oct 24, 2016
Damn... i already bought it... at least ill be able to get rid of the sas expander + controller in favor of a single card.[

QUOTE="JDMWAAAT, post: 344955, member: 8628"]
That list really only has to do with what I said above - booting off of those drives. If you're not booting off of them, then you don't need to worry about it at all.

Aside from that, you don't really need a 12Gbps SAS card for 3.5" SAS drives, even if their interface is 12Gbps. They won't even touch 6Gbps speeds if you're using them direct attached. Maybe it's a little different story if you're using them in an expander backplane.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Sleyk and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
whats the risk of counterfeit on this?
imo, not exactly low because the cards look new and are in protective cases like how you would get a fake pallet from the slow boat. But at the same time, these are not being sold as new, are being sold as used so they could be a really good recycler that packages things nicely (a good thing). They're not in a major port city so I don't think this is the usual 'pallet of fakes' that companies buy to make a quick buck, but could be wrong due to the aforementioned looking new and protective cases.

Reactions: Sleyk

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
im only using it for a single data TX, so not much risk. Just picked up 16x 8tb SAS3 drives for 5.33 a TB and am moving the data off an old RAID6 array over to the new drives.
Definitely compare your data after the copy in case the card is sending errors on the wire.

Reactions: gb00s and Sleyk

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
oh yeah, im gonna do a good 10-20TB of sync first to validate the card (and the drives)
I would just let it keep copying and run a compare to validate 10-20TB of the copy while it's still going. Then let the copy go full speed until done and then do a full bit-by-bit compare. At least that's what I do when I'm moving data. I use windiff and winmerge for comparisons.

Reactions: Sleyk

jbrukardt

Feb 4, 2016
I would just let it keep copying and run a compare to validate 10-20TB of the copy while it's still going. Then let the copy go full speed until done and then do a full bit-by-bit compare. At least that's what I do when I'm moving data. I use windiff and winmerge for comparisons.
unraid's pre-clear plugin does checks automatically. Gonna start running it tonight