LSI 9270-8i IT mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
redo crossflash success twice , both write empty sbr (use dd if=/dev/zero of=nullbin.sbr bs=512 count=1)
1 use 2208_16.rom (firmware version 23.16) and lsi9270.sbr
2 use lsi2208 (firmware version 23.23)and lsi9270.sbr
but both still show m5110 card, not lsi 9270-8i
@gdclub
why my try use 2208_16 recovery image before still show m5110 ? which rom image you use ?

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
megarec -cleanflash X
reboot
flash the original 9270's sbr
flash the 2208_16.rom
reboot

If you can flash the single bios after that,everything'll be done
I did the same way once but my card still show m5110 after flash

killer23d

Jun 1, 2020
I have been a long term reader and finally got the time to plan a hardware upgrade of my FreeNAS from a TS140 to a X3100 M5.

The X3100 M5 has a H1110 and M5110 with 1GB, to setup 5 drives RAIDZ2, which card is better as HBA for this purpose. I am running it as a file server and is on CAT6 at a home enviroment.

I noticed the M5110 can be covered to 2308 and I am curious if you guys have seen this video and maybe we can figure something out together?
(i can understand he has a shop and won't give out his secret sauce)

Rille_lkp

Aug 18, 2020
@vanfawx
Any chance you could send me your backups as well?

I bought two LSI 9207-8i from Ebay but think i got ripped off or sold bad returns, none of them worked out of the box.
One of them is identified as a SAS2308_2 D1 by sas2flash.efi but it says it needs a bios. When flashing, it goes all the way but is then stuck at reseting adapter and after reboot i'm back to start. Tried with older versions (P14) of sas2flash and firmware without luck.
The other is not identified by sas2flash and Windows shows it has another device ID (008f instead of 0087).
Megarec finds them both (shows as 2208) but get an error trying to dump both spd and sbr).
Seller said i could return them but it's a hassle sending them back to China and since i was ripped off on the cards i'm afraid i'll be out of both cash and cards if i do.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@vanfawx
Any chance you could send me your backups as well?

I bought two LSI 9207-8i from Ebay but think i got ripped off or sold bad returns, none of them worked out of the box.
One of them is identified as a SAS2308_2 D1 by sas2flash.efi but it says it needs a bios. When flashing, it goes all the way but is then stuck at reseting adapter and after reboot i'm back to start. Tried with older versions (P14) of sas2flash and firmware without luck.
The other is not identified by sas2flash and Windows shows it has another device ID (008f instead of 0087).
Megarec finds them both (shows as 2208) but get an error trying to dump both spd and sbr).
Seller said i could return them but it's a hassle sending them back to China and since i was ripped off on the cards i'm afraid i'll be out of both cash and cards if i do.
that sounds really sketchy. i would open a return and send them back. if the seller doesn't refund you, eBay buyer protection should kick in and refund you and you can let eBay deal with the seller. just make sure you document everything just in case. if you paid via PayPal, they also provide some sort of buyer protection.. and if you funded the PayPal with a credit card, at least in the USA, the CC bank will also protect you.

Rille_lkp

Aug 18, 2020
that sounds really sketchy. i would open a return and send them back. if the seller doesn't refund you, eBay buyer protection should kick in and refund you and you can let eBay deal with the seller. just make sure you document everything just in case. if you paid via PayPal, they also provide some sort of buyer protection.. and if you funded the PayPal with a credit card, at least in the USA, the CC bank will also protect you.
Thanks, i will check returning them using Ebay! Considering the time customs in Sweden takes to handle a package (may take a couple of months) a part of me is still hoping that someone has just tried to flash these cards before, messed up and that they can be recovered.
When i complained to the dealer, they claimed both cards were tested before they sent them (I really doubt that as one seems to be missing firmware and one has (at least) wrong device ID). They then just gave me an address in China to send them to but i'll look in to returning them using Ebay return instead.
Seller have very positive feedback overall but checking the few negative ones i see some other users have also had very high failure rates from the seller.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
@Rille_lkp - the SPD and SBR files are for a 9270-8i MegaRaid adapter, and won't help you if you're starting with an HBA. You can go MegaRaid -> HBA, but not the other way.

I agree with @BLinux, you should return the cards. If you paid via PayPal, you can start a claim via them if ebay didn't accept the return.

Devinirv

Jan 7, 2019
Canada
The 9271 8i i believe is just a direct cross flash if memory serves me well. That should be a 2208 that ypu can flash as a 2308 just be sure what the card chipset is in megarec first. If i remember back 2 years ago you can flash 9207 8i firmware to that card. If this is a lsi stock card you can leave the sbr file empty or build your own. There are many guides to do this but its quite easy if you do it from shell on efi system.

warnings

Jun 2, 2019
There is a way "soft mode" for disable sound emit by the speaker on a 9286 RAID card flashed to 2208 IT mode ? (instead of unsolder the speaker :D)
Or an IT model with a speaker on the PCB ?

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Apr 20, 2021
Hey vanfawx, great work!

I have bought an rx300 with an RAID Ctrl SAS 6G 1GB (D3116) with MR. I need to crossflash because I want to use ZFS without any raid controller.

As far as I can tell this card is based on LSI 2208 and I tried several sas2flsh P5/P13/P14/P15/P20 (dos/efi) without success => No adapter ...

Is there anything I am doing wrong?
I also have a Fujitsu D3116 controller (mine is chip revision C1) and I also couldn't get sas2flash to recognize the adapter. Here is what I tried
  1. Backup SBR and SDP
  2. megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
  3. megarec -cleanflash 0
  4. Reboot
But when running sas2flash -list it'll always tell me he didn't find any LSI controllers. I tried different versions of sas2flash (P5, P7, P14, P15, P16, P17, P18, P19, P20) even on different mainboards, one with DOS only and one with UEFI and even tried the Linux versions. But all the same. I also tried lsirec instead of sas2flash:
  1. lsirec 0000:05:00.0 unbind
  2. lsirec 0000:05:00.0 halt
  3. lsirec 0000:05:00.0 hostboot 9207-8.bin
But when trying to hostboot lsirec will always fail with "IOC failed to become ready" and I stil can't crossflash the Fujitsu controller. Any help/advice much appreciated. I attached the SBR I backed up (should hopefully be a stock D3116 SBR) and the output of megarec -adpallinfo -a0 (before I started to mess around with the controller)

[Edit]
Interesting fact that I noticed is, that my SBR is 512byte and all sbrempty.bin I could find are only 256byte, so maybe writing a 256byte SBR won't clear everything?

[Edit 2]
I recovered my controller by doing a megarec -m0flash with the 2208_16.ROM I found in this thread and by restoring my original SBR. And now it boots again, but something is different now. It shows LSI BIOS (was Avago before) and controller's vendor name is also LSI (was also Avago before) but product identifier is the old Fujitsu one "RAID Ctrl something" which kinda makes sense I think because I flashed a (stock) LSI firmware and used the Fujitsu SBR. So it seems I now have a Fujitsu controller booting with (stock) LSI firmware. But still sas2flash won't find any LSI controller.

Attachments

Last edited:

ttt821

Jul 12, 2021
Many thanks @BLinux - I tried again to crossflash the 9266-8i, it doesn't seem to "self-repair" the SBR on this card. Megarec.exe -cleanflash (twice ;-), and - writesbr BIGB0STK.sbr allowed me to lsirec hostboot w. 9205-8e - and complete flashes. But no succesfull reboot. I also tried lsirec hostboot with various other FW.ROM'sithout luck.

I really liked your insights about flashing low-level with megarec -m0flash, and again tried with a number of FW.ROM'srious 16MB LSI recovery ROM's and original and latest 8MB MR2208FW.rom

No self-repair of SBR.

Anyone with a copy of an original 9266-8i sbr? Possibly 9271-8i or IBM M5016 SBR's?

/Kim Bjoern
I have the lsi 9266 oem sbr . if you need the sbr send me a emai (alan.l.zheng@gmail.com)
to corss flash the lsi 9266 to it mode, you will need the 9205 sbr.
I cross flashed the 9266 to it mode, but some ports are not working. I m not sure is my controller or the f/w is not support with the card