LSI 9265-8I Questions - New Build Complete

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DBayPlaya2k3

Nov 9, 2012
Houston
Hello I am new here and just finished up a server build for a vmware whitebox.

I purchased the LSI 9265-8I and I would like to get a battery backup unit for this card.

However I now see per this forum that there are many compatible OEM parts that are just relabled LSI Parts.

Questions

1. Does anyone know if there is a cheaper OEM Battery Backup equivalent for the LSIBBU09 Part# LSI00279?

2. Can the IBM ServeRAID Expansion Adapter 60Y0309 work without issues for the LSI 9265-8I card?

I have been reading around the forum and wish I had found this place sooner before I finished my server build I could have proably saved some dough.

Thanks for your help

Reference Server Build:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhFarcJDQ74UdG9oQXpjZlV6Z0xLb0lMZW1oS3pjaVE

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
Why not get 9270-8i? They cost about the same and 9270 is PCI-e 3.0 (which your board supports) and 9265 is PCI-e 2.0. Everything else is about the same.

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
By the way, I'm not a big fan of WD's "intellipower" drives... Aren't they just 5400RPM drives?

DBayPlaya2k3

Nov 9, 2012
Houston
Why not get 9270-8i? They cost about the same and 9270 is PCI-e 3.0 (which your board supports) and 9265 is PCI-e 2.0. Everything else is about the same.
2 Reasons actually.

1. I don't believe the 9270 was out when I bought the 9265. I think they had been announced but there was no stock anywhere.

2. I had a requirement of buying the Raid controller at newegg because I had a 20% off Raid Controllers Promo Email Coupon. As of now newegg still doesn't sell the 9270.

Cost was a consideration as this was my first expensive build and I was trying to stick to a budget of $3,000 (lol which i failed at $3,467.48 in the Google Spreadsheet listed above).

I was lucky as I got the card for $554.99.

Last edited:

DBayPlaya2k3

Nov 9, 2012
Houston
By the way, I'm not a big fan of WD's "intellipower" drives... Aren't they just 5400RPM drives?
The reason I picked these drives is because of various reviews all list these drives as fantastic.

I also wanted something the would work in Hardware RAID without stupid dropouts but with decent performance as well.

Even Serverthehome recommended the WD Red drives in a Performance Review

I quote
Current pricing at the time of writing is around $155AU ($129.99 USD) for the 2TB drive – this is about $40AU more than the equivalent WD Green drive, so our conclusion comes down to this: you’re paying $40AU more and getting reduced read/write power consumption, lower temperatures, higher performance and a longer warranty. Another way to look at this is that the drives are significantly less expensive than the Western Digital RAID Editition (WD RE) drives. The warranty and stated higher MTBF is an encouraging sign of faith from WD in the longevity of these drives, and we would say that they’re well worth considering for anyone purchasing more media storage.
- http://www.servethehome.com/western-digital-wd-red-performance-preview/