lsi 9260cv-i4 bbu cable dead and slow write

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

magius00

Jun 5, 2013
Hi all

Writing this mostly in hope some people might have some ideas where I can go.

Long story short had some bad cooling issues which required some overhaul, which has worked a treat. Unfortunately in doing this looks like I've broken the BBU cable (no idea what this is called remote BBU cable maybe). The capacitor bank is charging fine as far as I can tell, all the led's are normal but controller is refusing to recognise it.

Once waited for prompts to timeout the write speed on the raid5 array has dropped to approx 4MB/s. this is from a previous 220MB/s which while not great was perfectly useable.

Now even with the controller disabling write back this seems a bit extreme so I'm wondering what else might be wrong. Wondering id anyone might have some ideas. Currently on the agenda is digging the mutltimeter out tomorrow and testing the cable. But idealy i'd like some pointers if anyone has any on what and where I can look into this rather drastic slowdown. The controller itself has only been running patrol reads and moaning about a microcode update everything else appears fine but results make me think the writethrough isn't the only issue here.

Also I guess if anyone knows where i can get a spare bbu cable in the UK would be helpful as I have doubts I can fix it.

magius00

Jun 5, 2013
oh and if it helps the controller really does think it's dead

c:\>MegaCli64 adpbbucmd a0

Adapter 0: Get BBU Status Failed.

FW error description:
The required hardware component is not present.

Exit Code: 0x22

magius00

Jun 5, 2013
well good news after a lot fo work with a multimeter and peeing around it lives.

Still not getting the write speeds i'm used to but will retest after it's finished a consistency check

For ref current speeds:

Capture16-11-14.PNG

Speeds when having issues:

Capture15-11-14.PNG

speeds pre any issues

Capture18-10-14.PNG

Ignore the read speeds I have some weird caching going on with the read only not as helpful as I hoped.