LSI 9260-8i id help needed, what is the model name?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I received eBay card today. Have couple, actually a bunch questions:

1. What is a model I can search for updated firmware? It was advertised as Dell 03NDP but search doesn't turn anything.

2. I understand mount is for the server rack. How do I mount it into desktop case?

3. I understand top board is for BBU, I don't have battery and don't plan to use it. Just take this top thingy OFF?

4. Do they heat a lot? Should I replace paste while there?

5. I haven't seen SAS connectors before. I will go with standard SATA drives (2x SSD in RAID1). What kind of cable/adapter to I need to get?

Sorry, all newbie questions but I need to know :)

WP_20150321_001.jpgWP_20150321_006.jpg WP_20150321_001.jpg

Attachments

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
From a quick google search the Dell 03DNP seems to cross reference to the LSI 9260-8i, and from the photo that certainly seems to be the case. Pretty sure that the 9260 was an option for the C6100, so that's a good place to start.

If you want to use Dell specific firmware then here's a link to the Dell Web Site

Here's a link to the LSI Web Site for the latest 9260 firmware

To mount in a regular desktop case, you just need a tall bracket, such as this one on eBay from bigxor

The daughter board that is mounted to the controller looks like a battery extender board to allow you to locate the battery off board. If you don't plan on using a battery then yes you can remove it.

The 2108 silicon doesn't get as hot as the 2208, but be sure to allow airflow across the heatsink. I stopped using onboard batteries with the 9260 controllers as they limited airflow to the heatsink. I still use the BBU, but I use a slightly different battery extender cable and get the BBU away from the airflow.

To break out and connect to SATA devices you need an SFF 8087 to 4x 7pin SATA cable. I get mine from Monoprice but they are readily available on eBay also.

Reactions: Patrick and katit

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Cool, thanks! Do you know if I can use LSI firmware right on top or it requires some "magic" to reflash? I see that LSI firmware is about 1 year newer than Dell's

To break out and connect to SATA devices you need an SFF 8087 to 4x 7pin SATA cable. I get mine from Monoprice but they are readily available on eBay also.
If I'm going to do RAID1 with 2 drives only, do I need 2 breakout cables or I can put both drives on a same "channel" ?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
One breakout cable is fine as it breaks out to 4 SATA ports. You should be able to use current firmware without any tricks.