LSI 9240-8i still a great choice for simple RAID 1 in Linux?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Road Hazard

Feb 5, 2018
I want to use a hardware RAID card for my boot drive in Linux. I know, I know.... MDADM. Well, I already use MDADM for RAID 6 in my media server but I want to do hardware RAID 1 for the boot drive. (Running Linux Mint 19.2)

Reason I want to use hardware RAID for the boot drive is because while I'm no idiot when it comes to Linux, I still consider myself a bit of a newbie with it. I've read countless tutorials on how to create an MDADM RAID 1 array for your boot drive..... but I can never get it to work. I figure a simpler solution would be to just use a hardware RAID card and be done with it.

Looking around, seems the LSI 9240-8i is a solid choice. Problem is, I know that probably every 9240 on eBay is a Chinese knockoff so should I let that worry me or can somebody recommend something better? Budget is around $50-$100. I just need RAID 1 and will be using 2 or 3 SSDs to create a single drive I can present to the Linux installer and go from there.

Thanks

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
seems the LSI 9240-8i is a solid choice
SAS2008 is ok as an HBA but it was never a great RAID controller. It was always just a low cost option.

I know that probably every 9240 on eBay is a Chinese knockoff
@BLinux told you that? I just opened a dozen ebay auctions (US based sellers, multiple pictures showing both sides of the card) - I did not see a single fake not counting OEM versions advertised as LSI retail. Having said that I would not recommend getting SAS2008 to be used with SSDs. You can get a proper SAS3108 based RAID controller for under $100 now.

Road Hazard

Feb 5, 2018
SAS2008 is ok as an HBA but it was never a great RAID controller. It was always just a low cost option.
Care to recommend a better RAID 1 controller? Don't need anything fancy or anything with a cache or BBU. Looking to stay around $100 or less and it has to have excellent Linux (Debian) support.

As for fake cards..... I thought LSI stopped making those a LONG time ago and weren't they bought out by somebody several years ago? Either way, I find it hard to believe that LSI is churning out new cards under their name. Sure, I guess somebody somewhere could be sitting on some server pulls or old inventory but all the sellers I see on eBay with those old LSI cards are advertising them as brand new and it just seems fishy.

LSI Mega 9240-8i may not be what it seems

Fake LSI HBA cards on ebay

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Who is forcing you to buy the fake "brand new" cards? By the way most of those "new" fakes are selling at $40+ level. So do not pay more than $25 shipped - and you are guaranteed to get a genuine card.