LSI 9220-8i Questions/Help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

murky024

Mar 21, 2022
So I picked up an Ebay 9220 after reading the thread about it being a good controller when in IT mode. I am experiencing some issues I am not sure how to troubleshoot/narrow down.

When I plug in a SATA drive, it finds it and we move on with life. When I plug in a SAS drive, the controller locks up when in WebBIOS and when booting up, I get an error of
"adapter at baseport is not responding"

I am not sure what is going on here. I have tested multiple drives and cables. I am not running this from a server chassis, I am trying to cobble together a small Media server for my house and I am running just basic old desktop hardware with the 9220 and a standard power supply.

Any guidance/advice on how to troubleshoot/narrow down the issue would be great. I picked up used SAS drives thinking that would be the best approach with the 9220, but I am just not sure where to go next to figure out my root cause.

Edit:
I may have figured out my problem but I cannot find an answer via a quick google search and reading data sheets.
I picked up used ST10000NM0226 drives, which are 12gb/s drives. Will they sync with a 6gb/s card like the 9220? Did I just make a major bonehead move with drives?

Last edited: