LSI 9211 SSD reading writing files @ 85MBs ??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
I flashed a m1015 to 9211 and 9240, the SSD's read and write like a 5400 spinner but they bench at normal speeds.

Using this card as a boot drive is slooow

File transfer from one SSD to the other is 85MBs

Tried 2 different slots.

Windows XP Pro x64
AMD 890FX MB running 4Ghz
Mushkin 6Gb/s Chronos SSD's (Sandforce)

Help Please.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
I removed the controller and tested the drives on my MB controller. The MB controller was the same problem, I just never noticed the slowdown. It's probably the OS, the SSD's show rated speed using benchmarks, but wont transfer files at SSD speeds. Neither will the spinners.

I imaged the OS and will reinstall a new copy and see what works.

[edit] I also found that hot swapping on my MB controller wont display the new drive in disk management any longer.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
If the SSDs were filled they will slow up.
You only get the rated speed when empty once they start filling and Garbage collection is not performed well then you'll get what you see now.

If you can Secure erase the SSDs and give it another go.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
The verdict is in!

Two problems:

1. I test a lot of controllers and trial software, looks like the registry has finally had a nervous breakdown and the OS needs to be reloaded (yuck!). I did a minimal reinstall and the computer behaves properly, including the controllers.

2. This is my main server and runs 24/7. The Mushkin Chronos SSD has slowed down 40% compared to the Samsung 830 SSD in my backup server (which rarely is turned on). When they were first installed the Mushkin was the fastest.