LSI 9210-8i only detected two HDD !?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrik Dufresne

Oct 19, 2016
Hello,

I own a LSI 9210-8i controller. We installed it with 12 HDD. Those are various model of 2TB Western Digital. Some are red, other are green. When starting the server with these drives, only 4 disk get detected (the red one).

We have tested with various cable. We also try other LSI 9210-8i controller (we have 4 of them).

Only two disk (always the same disk) get detected. Are you aware of any compatibility issue between 9210-8i controller and WD Green Disk ? I don't get why it's not working.

The LSI 9210-8i controller was flashed to IT mode. The disk are properly working when connected to the motherboard directly.

The cables are SAS to SATA.

Patrik Dufresne

Oct 19, 2016
With some testing on a bench test, I notice some of the disk had a jumper in the back and others did not have a jumper. Seems this little jumper is causing all the issue. Disks without a jumper is properly detected by the LSI 9210-8i controller. While disks with a jumper are completely ignored and not detected.

Not sure what this jumper is for but it really causes me a headache.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
As far as I remember, Jumper on Pins 1-2 make the disk use spread spectrum clocking, Jumper on Pins 5-6 force the disk interface to use SATA 1 (1.5Mbps) :)