LSI 9207-8i - identify current firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hololight

May 4, 2020
I just picked up a LSI 9207-8i through amazon for a ZFS zraid2 i'm building for my current server (my first use of ZFS actually). Is there a simple way to check that the card did indeed come with the IT firmware? If I can avoid having to use a boot disk, would be ideal. Running Ubuntu 18.04 on the intended machine. I'm pretty sure the card is brand new, but can't be 100% sure, so I want to verify.

Edit: Or perhaps this card can only be in IT or IR mode anyway? So it doesn't matter as both will work with ZFS? As a side question (to verify what I've read elsewhere): IR mode is just like IT mode, but adds ability to do raid (which I of course dont want because I'm using ZFS)?

Thanks

Last edited:

tangent

Feb 7, 2020
I was able to get the version of the firmware on my card using this command:

sas2ircu 0 display

LSI Corporation SAS2 IR Configuration Utility.
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved.

Read configuration has been initiated for controller 0
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Controller information
Controller type : SAS2308_2
BIOS version : 0.00.00.00
Firmware version : 20.00.07.00
Channel description : 1 Serial Attached SCSI
Initiator ID : 0
Maximum physical devices : 1023
Concurrent commands supported : 10240
Slot : 6
Segment : 0
Bus : 2
Device : 0
Function : 0
RAID Support : No
IR Volume information
Physical device information

RAID Support = No should indicate that the card is in IT mode. Also, make sure you're on the latest version of the firmware. Version 20.00.00.00 has issues with ZFS.

Hololight

May 4, 2020
So i'm going to need to come up with a boot disk (flash drive) anyway? From what I was reading, that's required to do the firmware flash part at least? Not like its the end of the world, just adds some steps Ill have to deal with.

tangent

Feb 7, 2020
Well, if you installed sas2ircu and ran the display command, there is a small chance that it is running with the correct firmware. I ordered my copy off of ebay, and it did indeed come flashed to IT mode as advertised. I still ended up needing to create a boot disk so I could update to the latest .07 firmware.

I actually just dumped the sas2flash tool onto a usb stick and booted to my motherboard's uefi shell.

Hololight

May 4, 2020
I was in the middle of typing up this followup when you posted, perfect timing.
To answer my own question: I didn't need a boot disk since the flashing software can be ran under Linux since I was wasn't changing version (IR to IT or vise versa). I had the IT firmware already, just an older version. Thanks for letting me know on that btw, in my prep research I hadn't run across needing to do that (outside of flashing to IT mode if needed)

Reactions: tangent

tangent

Feb 7, 2020
From the .07 changelog (the only change listed).

Defects Fixed (1):
ID: SCGCQ01026819 (Port Of Defect SCGCQ00927500)
Headline: IOP: False Reply Parity Error Firmware Workaround
Description Of Change: When the false reply parity error occurs, clear out the interrupt and return. If it was a real parity error, then the error would either be seen upstream or downstream as well, and another parity error would be generated.
Issue Description: In the IOP a false reply parity error is being generated, which results in a 0x1500 fault.
Steps To Reproduce: Run in hostboot with specialized drivers and run IOs. Some controllers never see the issue, while others see the issue in a highly consistent manner.
Component: \sasctrlfw\common \sasctrlfw\controllerfw\iop\sched
Turns out ZFS disagress with excessive parity errors.